Japanese White pine uprooted-suggestions?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a mature JWP, that today in a crazy windstorm had a large branch fall on it and knock it out of the pot. Part of the roots were in the air for probably 2 hours before I discovered it. Most of the roots were still dark, but some of them were dryish. The tree suffered no damage, but pot is a goner. Luckily, I had another pot just like it, which it's in now. The roots were mostly all intact, but I worry about the length of time they were in the air. Is there anything that I can do at this point for the health of this tree?

Picture of the tree a couple weeks ago...

Attachments

• IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 77

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
ohhh, Judy...that really sucks!! I think if most of the rootball was intact and relatively undisturbed, you should be fine...treat it like you normally would. If, however, you had to replace a large amount of the soil from within the rootball, I'd try to minimize freezing this winter. Nice tree, hope it comes through this ok.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy, you're lucky it's now and not high summer! If the roots didn't dry for too long it should not be a problem. Monitor the water, you know what to look for and adjust. The timing is not all that bad but duration exposed could be. There's not much you can do except monitor the water. If you try and protect too much, the soil won't dry and complicates the potential problems with the roots.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks guys, crossing fingers and toes. Good to know that it's not the worst time! I've never been a fall repotter, but I do know that some do it now...

Top Bottom