JBP advice any?

Loma Rica

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got this JBP at the nursery a little over a year ago and transplanted into a large cedar box w/a 1-1-1 soil mix. The attached pics show when I brought it home, then after I did a bit of trim on the sacrifice branch, and now the lower branches growing well and all their new candles. I plan on cutting the sacrificial branch in a year or two but for now I want to develop the lower branches before the “Big Cut”. Today (see photo below)View attachment 541254 I snapped all the longest candles in half to balance energy and will come back say the 1st of July and decandle most all of the tree except the one top sacrifice candle. Meanwhile I’m fertilizing, full sun, and letting it dry just enough before watering. Anyone see a flaw in my plan? This is my first JBP this size and since it was nursery stock my options were limited (straight trunk and some twisted roots) I’m in zone 9B in northern Calif. For fertilizer I use biogold in saucers and a bit of 10-10-5 liquid every 10 days. Any help would be appreciated, this is my first post (just joined) thanks!!View attachment 541248View attachment 541249View attachment 541251View attachment 541253

Guy Smiley

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to Bonsai Nut. I am also a newer person here and don’t have anywhere near the experience as other members. My advice would be to start working the roots next spring during your repotting time frame. Some of the first JBP that I worked with I waited a few years before spreading out the roots and found this makes it more difficult in the future. It is easier to get the roots set when the tree is young.

Loma Rica

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good idea, I think JBP are a bit predisposed to twist up roots, especially if in a confined nursery pot and no attention, thanks!

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree you should work the roots next spring right before it starts to wake up. You might want to start wiring what you are keeping this fall when it is safe to do so. Also when you are ready to remove the sacrifice branch I would do it over 2 years. First take a big chunk out of it then the next year finish cutting it completely off.

Loma Rica

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I agree! It’s been in this wooden container for a little over a year, a repot in late winter should be fine? With a touch of root tickling?

Loma Rica

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I agree you should work the roots next spring right before it starts to wake up. You might want to start wiring what you are keeping this fall when it is safe to do so. Also when you are ready to remove the sacrifice branch I would do it over 2 years. First take a big chunk out of it then the next year finish cutting it completely off.
I just saw that removal method of the sacrificial limb on a video, seems to make good sense. I definitely need to wire this fall before limbs get too thick

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard BonsaiNut!

Good project to start off with and looking good!

After looking at the images a couple thoughts came to mind.

Perhaps consider leaving a candle below on a well placed branch to create another sacrifice branch to replace the old one. This will help close the wound, but also get some asymmetry in the design... unless the goal is to create more of a hedgehog design.. Often JBP projects require more than one sacrifice location to obtain the form needed to look good.

Also in that same vein think about not ‘candle balancing’, instead do selective candle balancing or pruning to give options towards future asymmetry and more sacrifices.

@Eric Schrader of Bonsaify has created a really good course on creating Japanese Black Pine shohin that really might help you get the best out of this project. Am using this course too.

A couple hints.

To attach images so they are easy for members to scan, please use the “attach files“ button on the bottom left of the post frame.

Finally to help us help you better, please enter your approximate location and USDA Plant Hardiness zone (new map btw) by clicking on your icon atop the page, then account details, lastly scroll down and enter these data.

Looking forward to seeing the project’s progress.

Cheers
DSD sends

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome.
Spend some time studying the root structure and determining how to correct the roots circling the base to prevent future issues and improve the aesthetics. Depending on your skill level and training you may wish to consult a local experienced person to get help with " sorting and developing the root base for a Bonsai future" When I review your pictures that seems to be the biggest immediate challenge for this particular tree. Other than the clear indication that with the current branching a smaller tree " Shohin" seems to be the best direction.

Loma Rica

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome Aboard BonsaiNut!

Good project to start off with and looking good!

After looking at the images a couple thoughts came to mind.

Perhaps consider leaving a candle below on a well placed branch to create another sacrifice branch to replace the old one. This will help close the wound, but also get some asymmetry in the design... unless the goal is to create more of a hedgehog design.. Often JBP projects require more than one sacrifice location to obtain the form needed to look good.

Also in that same vein think about not ‘candle balancing’, instead do selective candle balancing or pruning to give options towards future asymmetry and more sacrifices.

@Eric Schrader of Bonsaify has created a really good course on creating Japanese Black Pine shohin that really might help you get the best out of this project. Am using this course too.

A couple hints.

To attach images so they are easy for members to scan, please use the “attach files“ button on the bottom left of the post frame.

Finally to help us help you better, please enter your approximate location and USDA Plant Hardiness zone (new map btw) by clicking on your icon atop the page, then account details, lastly scroll down and enter these data.

Looking forward to seeing the project’s progress.

Cheers
DSD sends
thanks for the reply! i had to go on the laptop to fill out my profile(w/my wifes help) There is little bitty needle sprouts up the trunk so if they grow one can be the new sacrafice. Silly tree has most lower branches comming out at about the same plane on the trunk, maybe it will look like a hedgehog LOL! if so, i think it would look best w/compact branches (nothing leggy) and call it good. Eric at Bonsify is a great resource! ill definitely check out his course, ive bought some of his little 1 and 2 year old JBP's and followed his and Jonas advice on soil medium and fertilizer and WOW! theyre going off! so a course will work for me. Thanks much!

Loma Rica

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome.
Spend some time studying the root structure and determining how to correct the roots circling the base to prevent future issues and improve the aesthetics. Depending on your skill level and training you may wish to consult a local experienced person to get help with " sorting and developing the root base for a Bonsai future" When I review your pictures that seems to be the biggest immediate challenge for this particular tree. Other than the clear indication that with the current branching a smaller tree " Shohin" seems to be the best direction.
Thanks RE, ill clean up the scraggly roots and try to reposition them as much as possible next winter. i think you guys are right about the look as of now will be shohin as long as i keep the branches short, which means decandling this summer to promote buds and bifercation correct? maybe get some back buds on the lower branches also. ill keep ya all updated, thanks again!

Top Bottom