JBP fall pruning to balance energy

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have this JPB I repotted 2 years ago. The right side of the tree is weaker than the top and left side. I need to do better job rotating the tree throughout the year. I'm looking to balance the tree's energy by pruning the stronger branches to previous 1 - 2 year(s) needles (see photo with clippers). Is this the right time of the year to prune back these strong branches here in the SF Bay area or should I wait until spring? Looking to do some needle pulling now also.

Attachments

• IMG_8618[1].JPG
    IMG_8618[1].JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_8627[1].JPG
    IMG_8627[1].JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 101

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not bad looking tree. Honestly prune needed done earlier, shortly after harden off. If one side noticably weaker should have weak side exposed most time until strength returns☺️. Consider ask member from local club instead of here. Also Bonsai Mirai Live most excellent source of wisdom.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Eric stays in your area. he talks about fall pruning in this video.

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Eric stays in your area. he talks about fall pruning in this video.

Yup. Had quick chat with Eric at the "Expo" this past weekend. For the branch pruning/shortening I was wanting to do, he advised summer was best. Picked up a nice "nano bonsai"....

Attachments

• IMG_8704[1].JPG
    IMG_8704[1].JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 45

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Yup. Had quick chat with Eric at the "Expo" this past weekend. For the branch pruning/shortening I was wanting to do, he advised summer was best. Picked up a nice "nano bonsai"....
Nice! I picked up several of Eric’s 2 year cuttings to work into mame trees last year. One them is my avatar. They were healthy and vigorous.

Top Bottom