Jerry Meislik's Ficus Natalensis...now mine.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A lovely Ficus Natalensis...created by none other than our beloved and talented bonsai artist Jerry Meislik. I am beyond blessed to have the ability to admire this tree now from my own bench.

I did choose a new front to compact the overall image...along with placing it into a 4 inch bunzan pot in 2022. A lovely pot...which I feel compliments the characteristics of the tree quite well.

The tree...itself...is not overly large. But just beautiful...in it's own right. Standing at 7 inches from the bottom branch to the top of the neagari/peak of the tree. So a proper shohin size lovely, compact tree.
As I am also a northerner...this tree winters indoors under grow lights for 17 hours a day...yet also spends time outside when weather/seasons permits.
FB_IMG_1679180660172.jpg

How it looked when I purchased it in 2022
FB_IMG_1679182389832.jpg

A few images taken off the Ficus Study Group...for history/progression Jerry has accomplished over the years with this material.
FB_IMG_1679393089373.jpgFB_IMG_1679393100106.jpg

Last edited:

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
A lovely Ficus Natalensis...created by none other than our beloved and talented bonsai artist Jerry Meislik. I am beyond blessed to have the ability to admire this tree now from my own bench.

I did choose a new front to compact the overall image...along with placing it into a 4 inch bunzan pot in 2022. A lovely pot...which I feel compliments the characteristics of the tree quite well.

The tree...itself...is not overly large. But just beautiful...in it's own right. Standing at 7 inches from the bottom branch to the top of the neagari/peak of the tree. So a proper shohin size lovely, compact tree.
As I am also a northerner...this tree winters indoors under grow lights for 17 hours a day...yet also spends time outside when weather/seasons permits.
View attachment 477835

How it looked when I purchased it in 2022
View attachment 477836

A few images taken off the Ficus Study Group...for history/progression Jerry has accomplished over the years with this material.
View attachment 477837View attachment 477838

It surely looks much better now!
I am also a big fan of neagari trees, congrats!
Ah, the picture is amazing too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It surely looks much better now!
I am also a big fan of neagari trees, congrats!
Ah, the picture is amazing too.
Thank you. Jerry approved 🥰... which was lovely as well. I really tend to like a more compact tree. But the bones were set...I did absolutely nothing but turn the tree...and change the pot.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also have one of Jerry's Ficus Natalensis. I think there are pictures of it on here somewhere. Mine is pouting right now and losing older leaves. It wants so badly to go outside.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I also have one of Jerry's Ficus Natalensis. I think there are pictures of it on here somewhere. Mine is pouting right now and losing older leaves. It wants so badly to go outside.
Pouting? Sorry to hear that...his was all grown inside...so that actually makes me pause. It should be quite used to growing indoors.

Mine is growing and quite happy under 17 hours of grow lights.

I'll try and locate yours. 😉

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was sad to find out that I was too late to snag this one. Then I saw that you had picked it up, and that is a very good thing. You are doing well with it!
(((Hugs))) You're to kind. 😘

I've admired it since 2020 to be honest. Reminding myself not to bother Jerry to sell his material. Just because it caught my fancy. When I noticed it Andrea posted to their main Facebook page...I sent a quick message...and worked in obtaining it for myself.

I had always been curious...what turning the tree would bring. Since this side was the only side shared. But the bones intrigued me. As...I am Neagari Gal. 😉

Hope you were still able to get one of his trees. Hated seeing the reason for the sale...but honored to have one of his trees to call my own.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hope you were still able to get one of his trees. Hated seeing the reason for the sale...but honored to have one of his trees to call my own.

Agreed on both counts. I was able to pick up a nice ficus pertusa from Jerry's collection...the one he calls f. pertusa mexicana exotica. I still need the confidence to do any serious work to it!

The one in the background of this shot...

1679412483155.png

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Agreed on both counts. I was able to pick up a nice ficus pertusa from Jerry's collection...the one he calls f. pertusa mexicana exotica. I still need the confidence to do any serious work to it!

The one in the background of this shot...

View attachment 477847
Glad to hear it...very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hehe! EVERY time I "set up" an Ulmus or ficus root-cutting, I think of you. ;)

View attachment 477849
Sweet project! Keep at them. 😉 I've got some cool projects coming up this year myself.

An upside-down neagari Turks Cap...and a bizarre crepe myrtle too. More going to shoot for possibly Herve` Dora 's method with it...he's a past student of Laurent Darrieux...who does the cosmic design. But he still keeps a bit of the bonsai styles incorporated in. So that triangle canopy is still seen in the chaos.

I'll most likely start threads on them at some point. 😉

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks... but honestly... It's Jerry's work. I only found a new front...and changed the pot out. Just small tweaks.
You are too humble... Jerry's take on the tree was great, but the "small tweaks" you did took this tree to the next level. If I was buying a tree right now and you present both trees to me, the image when you bought it and how it looks now I would take the "now" tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You are too humble... Jerry's take on the tree was great, but the "small tweaks" you did took this tree to the next level. If I was buying a tree right now and you present both trees to me, the image when you bought it and how it looks now I would take the "now" tree.
Thank you...but still...I only turned the tree...found a new front...and potted into a complimentary bunzan. I find a hard time...taking undo credit for something that was there all along. Just my perspective of a new front.

Jerry also was pleased with the new front. Which...seriously...when changing another one's material...that you totally respect...was more challenging mentally than the turning of the tree...Just another person's perspective shows how far it can enhance what is already there.

There's a lesson in there... 😉...That we all should take time to study our own material...and see if there are other options we may have overlooked. Small things...can be big changes. I think we all can agree with that.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Throwing in a video link on Instagram. So I can later locate it easily.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Never gets old...admiring the depth found in the bark.

Also over on Instagram in video and closeup of the bark.
1000027384.jpg

Top Bottom