Jesus,Santa Claus and Peeping Tom.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In the Japan of old where walled compounds were the norm and much effort was put into keeping spies,assassins,and gifts away I was wondering if the secrets of Bonsai were jealously guarded from prying eyes and if so did wealthy plantsmen employ artistic spies to not only make maps but also to infiltrate with a view to drawing other peoples Bonsai?

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
We see it in today's fashion industries, so time doesn't change anything. I admitt that I go thru photos of Bonsai competition and when I find something I like, I try and emulate it. It's the human condition.

In my "other hobby",,,Koi....many are the weathier folks that visit japan, buy a koi and raise it there, bring it back for the show and referr to them as their "stealth" koi. I quess without a competitive spirit, would be a pretty mundane world.

Santa is called by many names world wide, but somehow
he more than often shows up as a jolly elder clothed in red.
As for christmas, we used to have evergreen trees and then they went plastic, but that doesn't change the reason why we celebrate

and that is the birth of the Christ Child.

Merry Christmas everyone

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was imagining one warlord envious of anothers Bonsai as rendered in charcoal on cloth by his spy.

These images he found so appealing he must have these Bonsai and thus a pretext was needed for a battle so the other would never guess the true intent and would leave his Bonsai unguarded whilst his men fought off assailants.

This lusting after anothers garden ornaments became well known and if assailants arose from yonder then the most trusted Samurai would be instructed to thwart the other and bring rue upon him.

Were there Bonsai wars?

Some prints remain of Samurai looking at sticks in pots with possibly ruefull expressions.

Maybe in Kabuki?

Top Bottom