Juniper pruning and wiring

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
About to rewire abd prune this juniper, nothing radical as its been styled abd wired a year ago and I just unwired and want to rewire and add a little movement to couple branches as well as position a few tertiary branches. Pruning will also be minimal. We are in autumn season bit temp is still Round 25 degrees Celsius at day abd a few degrees colder at night. Tree seems to be still growing as in below pic. Do I proceed wiring and pruning or wait a bit more 20221022_071905.jpg

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds like you’re doing minimal work so there shouldn’t be any concerns with moving forward with it now. If you’d like to be cautious, keep it out of direct sunlight (or place under 30% shade) on the hottest days for 2 weeks(if your temps go back up). If you do end up with bigger bends/pruning, I’d personally make sure I baby it for a bit(shade if days are too warm, garaged if it gets below freezing).

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re doing minimal work so there shouldn’t be any concerns with moving forward with it now. If you’d like to be cautious, keep it out of direct sunlight (or place under 30% shade) on the hottest days for 2 weeks(if your temps go back up). If you do end up with bigger bends/pruning, I’d personally make sure I baby it for a bit(shade if days are too warm, garaged if it gets below freezing).
Thanks, doesn't get to freezing temperatures here. Might happen for few days in coldest days in winter but typically 5-10 degrees Celsius on cold rainy days unless there's a bad storm for few days and coldest we saw was -3 Celsius on 3-4 days in the coldest winter we've had in years.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Many junipers have similar foliage and growth but given it is bonsai most likely one of the Juniper chinensis forms.

I would be happy to wire junipers in autumn. No problem here and it gets just a bit colder here that Beirut. My junipers are outdoors all year round and I work on them all year round too.

Top Bottom