Juniperus Arizonica or Virginia

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
Hi,

Which one is better?

I like the blue leaf of the first one and also it's capacity to face drought (iam trucker)

The second I didn't know much about I'm from europe France

Thanks for your suggestions

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've only seen a couple internet photos of Juniperus arizonica, I really can't tell you anything about their use as bonsai.

Juniperus virginiana - I have some experience with. They are much more difficult to work with than the typical shimpaku- Juniperus chinensis, many, many bonsai hobbyists have tried creating bonsai with J. virginiana and the majority have put their virginiana on the burn pile or the compost heap after years of frustration. There are a handful of exceptionally good Juniperus virginiana bonsai out there. But they are rare, and usually started as older collected specimens.

There is a cultivar of Juniperus virginiana 'Grey Owl' that has been used by some, and seems to submit better to bonsai techniques. The reason is that "Grey Owl' is believed to be a hybrid, and not really "pure" virginiana.

SO in general, any juniper other than Juniperus virginiana would be a good choice.

In all honesty, I would suggest Juniperus chinensis, any of the Shimpaku cultivars, such as 'Kishu' or 'Itoigawa', both of which are fairly green in color, or if you want blue, look for 'Blaauw', it has shimpaku like foliage and a nice blue-ish color.

Top Bottom