Juniperus chinensis shrub - First Pruning

Dex

Seedling
Reaction score
Just posting a few pictures of a shrub I just pruned. I got to a point where I had to stop to see what I want to do. I think I'll use that one trunk that bends off to the left as my main trunk for one tree and I think I might try to air-layer the trunk to the right(pertaining to the first picture). I'll leave some of it on for a future jin.

Is it advisable to air layer this shortly after all of this pruning? Im assuming the tree is weak and needs to put it's energy towards healing, but I'd like some advise from someone who actually knows, ha.

Any suggestions are welcome. This is the third shrub I've hard pruned and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

723013B1-orig.jpg

5EE27E50-orig.jpg

25683A79-orig.jpg

91F664C7-orig.jpg

84C18BDC-orig.jpg

Before:

6A9C3DB4-orig.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Glad you're having fun...keep reading...when you're new, this type of pruning does make a shrub look a little further along, But...you're really pruning what you want to keep, and leaving what you should prune. It may seem backwards now, but give a try with another shrub and see how you make out. Nearly ALL bonsai techniques have the goal of pushing growth back toward the trunk.

Dex

Seedling
Reaction score
Yea, well I know I need to get rid of the two lowest off-shoots, but I cut most of the other stuff off to reveal my trunk. That was what I saw about this shrub that made me pick it. I wanted to be able to start out with a curvy trunk. Hopefully I can grow some interesting branches now. Should I give this tree time before air-layering?

Also I did not use cut-paste because the tub I have is for deciduous trees. What is the reason it can't be used on conifers?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You could probably get that right trunk to root as a cutting if you have a little experience with it. JC roots readily, even 1/2"-3/4" diameter shoots.

And...whatever you do, do NOT use that deciduous cut-paste on a conifer. It will kill it immediately. (kidding...it's just gray, whereas conifer paste is brown to blend with the bark color)

Dex

Seedling
Reaction score
Ha. Well that's good. I'll use the cut paste on it then. And I think I will take that as a cutting. I wasn't sure if it was to big. Are spaghnum moss and perlite ok for cuttings or should I use peat moss and perlite?

Edit- grammar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom