juniperus scopulorum nursery stock

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found some of these scopulorums at a nearby Lowes. I believe they may be the cultivar 'skyrocket.' After a quick google search it seems that they're Rocky Mountain junipers. I don't have a picture but these are fairly thin, between one and two inch, trunks, but between two and three feet tall. My initial thought is that they could work well for a bunjin bonsai. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on this type of juniper? I'm wondering how well it can maintain scale foliage and health with somewhat more sparse foliage. I'm planning on going back to check through the other plants so I will take a pic and maybe pick one up.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I forgot about this thread, but I did get a couple quick pictures the other day. The tags said it the cultivar is "Moonglow."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don't see any redeeming bonsai qualities in these plants. The main attraction of RMJ is the gnarly deadwood they develop after centuries of exposure to the elements. Even then, they're improved by grafting off the usually-ratty RMJ foliage...unless you luck into one with good foliage and deadwood. For the money, I'd buy shimpaku whips and grow them out instead, then go collecting for *real* RMJ.

cpt

Yamadori
Reaction score
I forgot about this thread, but I did get a couple quick pictures the other day. The tags said it the cultivar is "Moonglow."

I attempted you exact idea the other day, I initially was going for a single bunjingi and instead ended up with a group of 3 at different heights. this material was very easy to work with being so young. I did have to reinforce with pretty rigid rods to hold shape.

I will be interested to see how mine holds up over the course of this season. I may have some images soon.

have you started work on yours yet?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't see any redeeming bonsai qualities in these plants. The main attraction of RMJ is the gnarly deadwood they develop after centuries of exposure to the elements. Even then, they're improved by grafting off the usually-ratty RMJ foliage...unless you luck into one with good foliage and deadwood. For the money, I'd buy shimpaku whips and grow them out instead, then go collecting for *real* RMJ.

I wasn't attracted to them for characteristics of RMJs, especially since I didn't know what they were when I first saw them, but I thought that with some raffia and bending I could make some interesting bends in the trunk and have a tall feminine tree.

I attempted you exact idea the other day, I initially was going for a single bunjingi and instead ended up with a group of 3 at different heights. this material was very easy to work with being so young. I did have to reinforce with pretty rigid rods to hold shape.

I will be interested to see how mine holds up over the course of this season. I may have some images soon.

have you started work on yours yet?

I still haven't bought one. I'm trying really hard this year to save money for better plants. I may end up with one in a moment of weakness. I'm still waiting for next month when Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks starts shipping one gallon Shimpaku this year.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I agree with Brian. Even if you can put bends in the trunk, the trees are not really old enough to make a good or convincing bunjin. I love the elegant, tall bonsai styles. However, without some existing maturity, you will be left with a tall and young looking tree that will not convey the image of a good bonsai. If you wanted to grab one and practice wiring and large bending, that might be something worth while. However, it would be better to put the money and effort towards something that you will be happy with for many years. Just my opinion.

Rob

Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the advice, Rob. Honestly, a big part of the reasoning behind contemplating these junipers came from admiring your trees. Do you have any idea how long (if ever) these might take to get that rough old bark look? I have read that colander/pot grown JBP bark up faster than ground grown stock, but I wonder if that also applies to junipers?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Rob. Honestly, a big part of the reasoning behind contemplating these junipers came from admiring your trees. Do you have any idea how long (if ever) these might take to get that rough old bark look? I have read that colander/pot grown JBP bark up faster than ground grown stock, but I wonder if that also applies to junipers?

Thank you. Actually, it is not necessarily the bark, it is the branches and overall look of the tree. I see these trees at the Lowes and Home Depots. I actually check out some of them just to see if there is anything worth while. Usually, the branches are still young and thin with little, if any ramification. So after they are styled as a bonsai, it still does not have the essence of an older tree.

I can use this example from my collection. My arborvitae bunjin was created from yellow tag Lowes stock. It took me about 8 years to get the branches to mature. Notice in the second and third pics. Even though the trunk is thin and tall, the branches are mature, proportionately thick, ramified and have taper. So although the trunk is the main feature of this tree, without the maturity of the top section, you would not have a convincing bunjin. You would still have a young looking tree. Of course, this tree will improve more with age.

One of the beautiful qualities of Bunjin is that it does not have the thick powerful trunk you would expect on an ancient tree. However, it still conveys an ancient tree. It is a beautiful contradiciton.

Rob

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
To find a good bunjin is hard...but I managed to find one today.
Thank you for posting it.

Top Bottom