Just another trident

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This maple started in 2012 as a bagged bare root maple. I put it into a cut down five. It was purpose grown for bonsai as it had been cut back amny times and pruned for SOME taper. In fact this one has earned the name "Bulldog", not because I like naming trees. I do it because I have folders with headings like All Maples and All Junipers. It is easy to find the particular tree with a name then opening up 27 files with Ed Clark no. 1 thru 27 on them. That does not even include the Benny Kims, DaSilvas and the Muranakas. That would be about 50 tridents.

This one happens to be Ed Clark no. 2 Bulldog.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the branches were either cut off or cut very short to induce back budding of my choice. The tree progressed and was looked at in the Fall of 2013. It was just a ball of foliage.

008.jpg 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Fresno snail ravage of 2014 set me back a year at least with the snails eating every leaf off the plant. Once the snails eat the leaves off a couple times the branch just dries out and dies. Currently, I am spending a lot of time pruning dead branches out of tridents that did not bud this year. This shot was in the fall of 2013 and the tree did not look much different all year.

013.JPG

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
where are you going to take it from here? it has a lot of branches in the right spots,will you prune back to just a basic structure and go from there? or just let it grow must have posted at the same time. your pictures answered my questions

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This year. The tree came back pretty good by fall of 2014 and had grown enough branches that a form was beginning to emerge. I decided to put it into a large ceramic pot to grow this year and shape the root ball. The tree had been growing in a colander all of 2014 so I had a very fiberous root structure with no large roots. Next year it will go into a much smaller pot.
This evening I took the tree and cut some long shoot back and just trimmed some shape into it. I plan on getting a much better structure this year as I had no damage from snails on almost all of my maples. A couple had a few nips here and there but I just moved them to a dryer location and the problem is solved. So far this is what I have managed to get out of this tree in three years. I can't wait for the next five, by then I'll be ready for retirement.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 166
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 165

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OH...BTW this tree misses the pp contest by a 1/4 inch. It is 2.75" across the waist.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
That's an impressive amount of growth for 3 seasons, minus one for slugs...
I see sawdust in post #2...do you cut your branches with a saw? I'm picturing a saw z all with a 12" long blade lol

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's an impressive amount of growth for 3 seasons, minus one for slugs...
I see sawdust in post #2...do you cut your branches with a saw? I'm picturing a saw z all with a 12" long blade lol
Yes, I always saw. Never cut a branch larger than 1/4 inch with even concave cutters. The cutters no matter how sharp will always shatter the end of the branch. It might not look shattered but inside it is. Sawing does the least amount of damage and will provide a good starting point for new growth and it will heal faster. Cuts down flush to the trunk are OK when larger because it does not damage the tissue like midway on a branch.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, I always saw. Never cut a branch larger than 1/4 inch with even concave cutters. The cutters no matter how sharp will always shatter the end of the branch. It might not look shattered but inside it is. Sawing does the least amount of damage and will provide a good starting point for new growth and it will heal faster. Cuts down flush to the trunk are OK when larger because it does not damage the tissue like midway on a branch.
Interesting...

When I remove a branch, I leave a little stub when I make the primary cut. Then come back with a pair of sharp knob cutters, the spherical kind, to nibble away until I get it cut back to the trunk like I want. That leaves a smooth cut to heal. Sawing would leave a somewhat jagged line of cambium.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting...

When I remove a branch, I leave a little stub when I make the primary cut. Then come back with a pair of sharp knob cutters, the spherical kind, to nibble away until I get it cut back to the trunk like I want. That leaves a smooth cut to heal. Sawing would leave a somewhat jagged line of cambium.
I try to saw larger branches, then come back and clean the branch up with sharp knob cutters and a grafting knife, as needed.

MST

Seed
Reaction score
So it's been three-and-a-half years now. Some news on Bulldog please?

Top Bottom