Kiwi’s Big Yew Project.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
About a year or so ago I dug the below yew from a private garden. Did the usual huff and puff to get it out of the ground, and boxed it up for the year. It sat there happily, didn’t grow much.
Due to impatience, which may be a problem, as you guys can advise, I have had a go at starting the deadwood and future growing structure. It is quite a beast, and the largest tree in box I own, with its 2.5 inch girth and 6-7 inch nebari.
Being Spring here, I decided to get started.
A19B194D-5251-4D26-8E0A-8F93E6E3D1B3.jpeg
0C9E27E6-4F9A-4804-B286-783B4FB4B92D.jpegE4FDBE78-DEF4-42E6-B6E9-40698B9015B2.jpeg

Well, a couple of days later, of learning how to strip bark, although the sap is running which has made the job easier.
I have intentionally left all the future deadwood long as I have no idea how to carve etc, and thought I would wait for a pro and a workshop to show me etc
AB49F641-1BDC-468F-BE3E-FBC908E83CF8.jpeg Front
7E486B70-84AB-4B09-ACF4-B87A1F2CA9CD.jpegBack

FACC6F52-4C54-41F6-BCAD-72D36F9BA822.jpeg

I am so hoping I haven’t taken this too far and either killed or set it back lots. I am too scared to reduce this any further as I thought in a year or two I can shape some more.
Now lots of food and sunshine, and opinions welcome. Am tagging the Yew experts here for their advice also.
@BobbyLane , @defra , @dirk hoorelbeke , @just.wing.it.
Looking forward to comments and updating this thread as time ticks by.
Charles.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice start. Remember you can bend jins by fire flame protecting any foliage above with
a second set of hands and a deflector, as long as there's still sap in them.
The short stubby one, not advised that way, but the bottom left one I'd try it on
and any of the upper ones easy peasy.
Roast the bending point back and forth till you feel it give and hold in place till it cools.
Try it on an upper one and see what you think. You can get creative with a straight becoming
almost Z shaped. Certainly S shaped. Have fun!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
out of curiosity, what are your average winter low and summer highs temps where you're at and what is your winter care for this yew?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice start. Remember you can bend jins by fire flame protecting any foliage above with
a second set of hands and a deflector, as long as there's still sap in them.
The short stubby one, not advised that way, but the bottom left one I'd try it on
and any of the upper ones easy peasy.
Roast the bending point back and forth till you feel it give and hold in place till it cools.
Try it on an upper one and see what you think. You can get creative with a straight becoming
almost Z shaped. Certainly S shaped. Have fun!

Hi,
Thank you for your thoughts. Yep there are some straight branches there for sure, and unsure what of the deadwood I shall keep.
And the flame thrower thing, that be fun but out of my league at the moment.
Getting it growing again will be the test 👍.
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
All 6 of my yews died last winter.....I need to relearn Taxus.

Hi jwi,
Bummer about the deaths. I have read somewhere they have fleshy roots so winter protection for sure.
I will get nervous about shrinking the box and hard frosts also. No snow though here.
Charles

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thnx for the faith but I would not dare to call myself an expert, I do have some experience styling them and keeping them alive tough

My yews dont get any protection in winter, I think they are one of the most cold hardy species so no worries about that.

Good start, perhaps a bit to soon(it's a common advice to start working dug up yews after 2-3 years of rest) but I recognize the impatience.....
For now I suggest leaving it alone and get it growing strong then when fall comes see what have grown on to work with

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it did not grow much, it has not regained strength. What I have understood is that Yews work on a 3 year cycle; Roots - Foliage - Rest. Yews have low carbohydrate stores, so digging and transplanting takes a lot of their energy. So they take a break. They regrow theior roots. When you see foliage extending half a foot in a season, it has regained strength and rebuild their stores and roots which is a sign to work them.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If it did not grow much, it has not regained strength. What I have understood is that Yews work on a 3 year cycle; Roots - Foliage - Rest. Yews have low carbohydrate stores, so digging and transplanting takes a lot of their energy. So they take a break. They regrow theior roots. When you see foliage extending half a foot in a season, it has regained strength and rebuild their stores and roots which is a sign to work them.

Hi,
Many thanks for your comments and the 3 year cycle. Definitely didn’t know this and it now makes sense, as my tree has strong roots, and I guess this year it would have exploded with growth.
Oh well, I have maybe set it back some length of time then.
Charles

Reaction score
I'm not an expert but i follow the advice of leatherback. This growing season had small growing shoots (obvious on the photo). The tree had just enough roots to transport water, extend the bud (with the energy to do that already stored in them) and survive warmer temps. You can predict the first growing spurt at the size of the buds. I would have waited an extra year for sure. Healthy shoots on yew are 20 cm long at least. A healthy yew will backbud when exposed to light. Cutting back after hardening (june here) and needle plucking at the end of the growing season (september) helps this proces. What will happen now depends on the strength of the roots. Just feed and water this year. In fall do the carving and style the primary branches. Let the tree grow until it backbuds on its own. Then cut back hard but leave some strong growth on every branch. Might be a great tree. Take it easy... When making deadwood, leave more room next to the branch, yew are sometimes fussy about that.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm not an expert but i follow the advice of leatherback. This growing season had small growing shoots (obvious on the photo). The tree had just enough roots to transport water, extend the bud (with the energy to do that already stored in them) and survive warmer temps. You can predict the first growing spurt at the size of the buds. I would have waited an extra year for sure. Healthy shoots on yew are 20 cm long at least. A healthy yew will backbud when exposed to light. Cutting back after hardening (june here) and needle plucking at the end of the growing season (september) helps this proces. What will happen now depends on the strength of the roots. Just feed and water this year. In fall do the carving and style the primary branches. Let the tree grow until it backbuds on its own. Then cut back hard but leave some strong growth on every branch. Might be a great tree. Take it easy... When making deadwood, leave more room next to the branch, yew are sometimes fussy about that.

Hi Dirk,
Thank you for taking the time to make comments. I really appreciate the way you and @leatherback have written your text. So easy to learn by and follow for the next year or 3 til it’s happily ready for more work 👍
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
Sad update is that it died over the course of our Summer and Autumn. Probably over-worked this with not enough live veins, and not enough foliage, but it had nice roots.
I have now learned a tough lesson on watering this - a big box with bark and pumice so should have gone with only Pumice I be thinking as it stayed too wet all Summer.
Onwards, and unless I find another decent Taxus I won’t try again 😢.
Charles

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New Zeeland does not allow the import of them right? Last count, I have 15 yews, from a 9 year old windswept from seed to a 50 year old collected stump deciding whether it dies or lives. My money is on dying unfortunately.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Haha, had to laugh when you suggested I need to find a better me. Yew are cool too.

As for the species, um, I will wait for a second attempt but not really looking. As for the import thing, I would love to receive better stuff from overseas, but a 10k permit and everything else makes it not doable.
And great blog/website as I have learnt lots.
Charles

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As for the species, um, I will wait for a second attempt but not really looking.
Here they are common as ticks on a deer. If you go to any carden centre in spring, you will find them as hedging material. Maybe just start off with those for now. Just to get a feel for them. I know that was what put my love for the species solidly in place.

This is some 6 years from hedging material, and one of my first yews:
1599644008473.png

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Very cool and great inspiration.
Yew’s are not common at all, not in garden centres or landscape nurseries. All good

Top Bottom