Kiwi’s massive Trident

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That left trunk is the one that caught my eye too - just too many vertical lines for a single tree.
As @leatherback mentions it is not much use us trying to guess what's there from photos. A small change of viewing angle can give the tree a completely different look so you'll need to make any final choices.
I guess that trunk needs to be carved down but how far will depend on what you can see.
It may be possible to just reduce some of the others rather than cut off completely, maybe carve to give better taper. Again it depends on what is hidden from us, what you can actually see and what problems you can liv with or disguise/hide with foliage, branches or the trunk.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
To my aesthetics, getting rid of the trunk Leatherback labeled with the red line seems to be worth considering. Not sure whether to cut flush, carve, or any of the horticulture involved there in how much of an insult to the tree is possible.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Scott,
Thank you the thread to show me how it is done. Wow, a knife, then I will give it a go, and post pictures 👍.
Charles
An oyster knife works well. For me, removing bark is winter work - I pull thei bark before dormant spraying so I can get to anything hiding there.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It’s obviously MASSIVE, but could you post a shot with a coke can for scale?
Hi Sean,
Here is the photo of a Sprite can for scale etc.
12A3F51C-DA77-433A-8AD2-28B3BC75A882.jpeg
Massive and heavy-as. Takes a stupid amount of energy just to get it onto some wheels to work on it.
As least I have an Australian bonsai pot maker who has been recommended, and a 3 man lift 😂😂😂
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
summer is over. Time to see this beast again! :)
Hi,
Spring is trying to Spring, still a few frosts.
I missed a third growth spurt on this one by not cutting back with 8 weeks left of season. Anyway, see below at my update post for my vision (and others convinced me to do some cutting. )
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Update required :
New season is about to get going. I didn’t take any photos of the repot as my wife helped me get this beast out of its box. Using a reciprocating saw I cut off some big wedges on its base so it will now sit upright mostly. This was 2 years later and there was a whole load of nice roots but still a bit fragile.
As you can see from my photo update below my recip saw came out for a couple of trunk chops. I am pleased with the progress.
I took some cuttings off this tree last summer which most rooted, and some of them will be my root grafts to improve the nebari, because unfortunately the best nebari on its backside.
So going into this next growing season I have a question about branch vs secondary trunk building. I have used a grow and cut method with this, but unsure whether I need to let one of each 3/4 sub trunks grow lots rather than the broccoli look.
Hope to hear anybody’s thoughts etc.
45B0494E-F761-4510-9C15-6D9C26D6DC24.jpeg
Now it looks very ‘straight stick-like’ after photo. Did I not cutback hard enough?
Charles

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Now it looks very ‘straight stick-like’ after photo. Did I not cutback hard enough?
Which bits look straight, stick like?
I would probably have cut some of the smaller twigs back further as some are straight and have long internodes but that can still be done - either now or next year. There's still a long way to go so timing is not critical yet.
Don't try to rush the ramifiction development stage. Keeping long internodes just to grow to final size is a big mistake.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update required :
New season is about to get going. I didn’t take any photos of the repot as my wife helped me get this beast out of its box. Using a reciprocating saw I cut off some big wedges on its base so it will now sit upright mostly. This was 2 years later and there was a whole load of nice roots but still a bit fragile.
As you can see from my photo update below my recip saw came out for a couple of trunk chops. I am pleased with the progress.
I took some cuttings off this tree last summer which most rooted, and some of them will be my root grafts to improve the nebari, because unfortunately the best nebari on its backside.
So going into this next growing season I have a question about branch vs secondary trunk building. I have used a grow and cut method with this, but unsure whether I need to let one of each 3/4 sub trunks grow lots rather than the broccoli look.
Hope to hear anybody’s thoughts etc.
View attachment 456959
Charles
Nice moves!

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would be curious if @Walter Pall has any suggestions for this one. He’s got an eye for larger specimens and does a lot of fantastic work with them. 😁

I would definitely noit remove any old bark. You want more of that! I would immediately carve the big holes to look credibly made by nature and not by a saw. .Give up the idea that they will ever close nicely. You want the look of an old gnarly oak which had to fight and thus has character. You cannot make a good bonsai-looking tree of this - It must be naturalistic. I would immediately wire every songle brach, also the smallest ones, and bend everything round and out. I would use some guy wires to hold thick benches down in place.
If you forget the idea to create a good lookingh bonsai and instead try to create a very good looking tree this has a great future.2022-07-TSC_6791x.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would definitely noit remove any old bark. You want more of that! I would immediately carve the big holes to look credibly made by nature and not by a saw. .Give up the idea that they will ever close nicely. You want the look of an old gnarly oak which had to fight and thus has character. You cannot make a good bonsai-looking tree of this - It must be naturalistic. I would immediately wire every songle brach, also the smallest ones, and bend everything round and out. I would use some guy wires to hold thick benches down in place.
If you forget the idea to create a good lookingh bonsai and instead try to create a very good looking tree this has a great future.View attachment 457008
I’m a huge fan of the naturalistic approach you take towards the larger trees. The one pictured above is a fantastic example of a possible future for the OP’s trident.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thats a beast! could defo benefit from a bit of shaping with wire now, 'up n out' and also with carving, to take off them boxy edges... I fully agree with a naturalistic approach to the material
could be 'piglets' brother from another mother:cool:

cut back looks good, one or two straight bits as Shibui pointed out. nothing major, you could try to put movement into those straight bits or snip them a little more.

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you forget the idea to create a good lookingh bonsai and instead try to create a very good looking tree this has a great future.View attachment 457008
Hi Walter,
Thank you so much by dropping by here to pass comment. Very inspiring to have this help.
Only 5 years into this, so I have a lot to learn!!
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi
Thats a beast! could defo benefit from a bit of shaping with wire now, 'up n out' and also with carving, to take off them boxy edges... I fully agree with a naturalistic approach to the material
could be 'piglets' brother from another mother:cool:

cut back looks good, one or two straight bits as Shibui pointed out. nothing major, you could try to put movement into those straight bits or snip them a little more.
Hi Bobby,
Great to have you back on Bnut and your contributions. Thank you for commenting here.I have trimmed the long straight sections as they wouldn’t bend very easily. So I agree the wiring needs to start this season.
Two questions if you don’t mind.
1a. Do I let one shoot from each trunk section run for the season to get more sub-trunk girth?
1b. Or grow, wire, then cutback everything?

2. Is it Graeme Potter who does carving videos/tutorials? I have zero experience re carving and need some help lol.
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
The start of Summer here so I thought I would try my hand at wiring the new growth, and eliminating all extra growth. My photos don’t show the wiring very well and I need to create depth in this as the side view is pretty flat.
A questions for the team-
Is the wire then cut (2-3 growth per season) the way to grow branches/trunks)?
Or am I best to let 3-5 of these growths grow all season to create more trunk sections first?
This part of the process is very confusing to me even after reading many progression threads!
2EF222C9-3E7A-4041-900E-EC6BB332AEBB.jpeg
A9BFB1FD-AEB7-40EF-BF56-E9808DEFC78A.jpegF3482292-D3DA-40A6-9029-D59DB031E207.jpeg
676758D0-3F34-4901-B3AE-666626D56CB6.jpeg
Also I can’t do the carving or learn to etc til next winter as only just been repotted.
Charles

Top Bottom