Klostergrun Mugo

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bought this Mugo "Klostergrun" from Dave and Gretchen DeWire this summer.
Was doing some maintenance on my photos and realized that I had not posted any pictures other than a cursory in the "Mugo Train" thread.
Here ya go!

Attachments

• Klostergrun1 (2).jpg
    Klostergrun1 (2).jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Klostergrun2 (2).jpg
    Klostergrun2 (2).jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Klostergrun3.jpg
    Klostergrun3.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Klostergrun4.jpg
    Klostergrun4.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Klostergrun6.jpg
    Klostergrun6.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 28

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have another from them purchased a little later named "Edsal Wood".
Wonder if it's @Vance Wood relative??:D
Pictures once I get them sorted out!
No relation that I know of.

You did good by getting it into a pond basket. There is one problem you will need to learn to deal with, it's a Mugo Pine and has a particular way of growing that is counter to the way a tree shouod grow destined to be a bonsai. The tree tends to have a very powerful terminal bud surrounded by from two to six ancillary side branches causing the formation of a wheel and axel arrangement at the apex and ends of its most vigorous branches. This causes the formation of large swollen growths where they occur, the end of branches and the apex. You have to attack these formations for several seasons in order to get the kind of back-budding necessary to cause the fromation of random buds necessary to form small needles and short internodes. This means that you should remove the most vigorous of the extended shoots and the strongest of the side branches leaving one for the new leader and no more than two for side branches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom