Korean Hornbeam Fall Color in CA

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Curious if you know any good sources for American and or Korean hornbeams in California? All the korean hornbeams I've run into are tiny and dangly shrubs and haven't found any American Hornbeams.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Curious if you know any good sources for American and or Korean hornbeams in California? All the korean hornbeams I've run into are tiny and dangly shrubs and haven't found any American Hornbeams.
Which makes me wonder how big this one is. I find these scale so well, that often the trees look much larger than they are..

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

They had a bunch of Korean Hornbeams last time I was there. Quick trip from Oakland as well.

Reactions: n8

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The both of them are not large. The tree shown is approximately 2’[60cm] in total height. Nebari is approximately 2.5”[6cm] .
They are a fine specimen. I harvested seeds from both last year and struck a dozen seedlings. They are about anywhere from 6” to 12-14” depending on the individual! Also took as mentioned above, an airlayer for the first time.
Here a photo from a year previous showing the bench area with the “nasty” j. Virginianna in the back.

Attachments

• 0C9E629C-36DD-41F4-98F2-258A7FF31D7B.jpeg
    0C9E629C-36DD-41F4-98F2-258A7FF31D7B.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 4BE4F11C-7655-4DDA-864A-07DD38530FB8.jpeg
    4BE4F11C-7655-4DDA-864A-07DD38530FB8.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
The both of them are not large. The tree shown is approximately 2’[60cm] in total height. Nebari is approximately 2.5”[6cm] .
They are a fine specimen. I harvested seeds from both last year and struck a dozen seedlings. They are about anywhere from 6” to 12-14” depending on the individual! Also took as mentioned above, an airlayer for the first time.
Here a photo from a year previous showing the bench area with the “nasty” j. Virginianna in the back.
You better mean the nasty awesome cedar 😁

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I removed a successful airlayer from this girl last month upper RH portion of crown.
Celadon pot by: self
Tree from seedling 32 yrs ago
Hi vancehanna - congratulations, nice tree. Do you have any tips or details you could share for your Korean Hornbeam air layering process? I have been trying unsuccessfully for a couple of years to air layer my Korean Hornbeam (and American Hornbeam). Cheers.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi W3rk
In February this past year I did a ring of bark removal about a .75” and applied a rooting hormone and generous amount of spaghnam moss and wrap with polyethylene. I regularly injected water via syringe 1x a week and 2x a week in the heat of summer. In late September it was rooted and cut and planed into a bonsai mix a bit heavy with humus.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 89

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi W3rk
In February this past year I did a ring of bark removal about a .75” and applied a rooting hormone and generous amount of spaghnam moss and wrap with polyethylene. I regularly injected water via syringe 1x a week and 2x a week in the heat of summer. In late September it was rooted and cut and planed into a bonsai mix a bit heavy with humus.
So pretty standard process, thanks for responding. It seems I've just had poor luck.

Top Bottom