Korean Maple- Nice School-yard find

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As the gardeners at my school have the tendency to view any natural growth as a weed, I thought I would rescue this fellow from doom. It has obviously already met with a hedge trimmer perhaps last year. Forgive the poor photo and tree condition, its still a bit shocked from being removed from it home. Any styling ideas? I was just going to fertilise it well and let it grow like mad and free so that I can thicken its very spindly branches. Hints welcome thanks for reading.

Attachments

• image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 285

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Let it grow a full year, looks like it could eventually make an Informal Upright at this point but you will be better able to decide after a year of wild growth. Nice little save by the way.

Grimmy

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the idea Grimlore was leaning in that direction, will give it free reign for a year.... Nice to know I saved a life, tree seems pretty much fine after transplant so hopefully start putting out some good growth after transplant shock wears off

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks, I find wild specimens to have much nicer leaf shape than cultivated forms. Though thats just my personal taste not a big cultivar guy. Being able to walk in the forest and see the exact same tree as I have at home kind of appeals to me.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I see that it is inside in the photo. You don't keep them inside do you?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep, inside, tough I know its less than ideal they have the correct sunlight and humidity. It's possible with the building design, I wouldn't try it outside Korea lol.......I'm trying to Get a metasequoia to root from a cutting inside, looks like it may work the cutting is still fresh after a few days on the windowsill. At home I have a plant room just for my trees with high humidity and sunlight so wouldn't recommend keeping inside to others. It's a lot of work to say it plainly.

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Checking in

How is this one coming along? I was at the local nursery yesterday and saw a few leftover korean maples intended for landscape use. One of them has a great low trunk and nebari, and the others showed signs of wonderful small leaf potential. Seeing yours made me wonder about leaf reduction.

Random User

Reaction score
I too am curious how he made out with this maple.

Jaberwky, did you buy one of those Korean Maples that you were talking about?

I got one this spring as a nursery orphan... the old lady at the nursery gave it too me after she first demanded $60.00. I don't know if it was my toothless grin, grey hair, or bulge in my pants that caused her to give it away, but I could have outrun Usain Bolt when she said "take it, you can have it for free"... I'm unsure if it was the thrill of getting it free or the possibility that her next words were going to be "but you have to..." in any case, my joints sounded like the dice rattling around in that little can when kids play Yahtzee on Saturday nights as I ran down the street to my car...

It was a nasty looking piece of material, even for a pre-bonsai. I repotted it and found that it was severely root bound. It took off soon after it was in the new pot. But, like a dumb a _ _ though, I trimmed "just one little branch" that had developed a bad knuckle over the years. Not knowing that they have very thin bark, I did more damage to the tree than I would have liked. This set the tree back again, but I'm looking forward to next spring to see how it recovers. They are supposed to be surprisingly hardy, even here in zone 3... and the fact that I got it from her after it had been at the nursery for a couple of years is testament to that.

From now on I will aways use a sanding disc to trim a maple, not pruners or any cutter design.

From what I can see so far, they may have a leaf that is too big for a small bonsai... however, they may also be like a Cottonwood or American Elm that will throw a massive leaf the first couple of years and they gradually reduce in size as the density of the foliage increases.

I'm really curious about them though as I have never seen one in my travels (even in private yards or public parkways), and they have a very distinctive leaf, shape, colouration, and form.

Through the years I have found that nursery orphans make the best bonsai because they are almost always free here (or almost free; like $5.00)... especially if I explain what I intend on doing with them and show a great deal of scepticism about the prospective plants possibilities. Plus, I toss in a great deal of "geeze it's ugly", as I roll the pot 'round and around. What most growers don't know is that "ugly" is the #1 thing that I'm after and #2 is "free"... lol... call me a greasy, cheap, old man, but getting an ugly free little something and helping it grow turns my crank... PLUS, I don't have to dig it!

Top Bottom