Lake Norris, Florida with wonderful bald cypress

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A friend of mine (Barb Hiser) went on a Bald Cypress tour..I asked her if I might share her photos over here.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I've not really studied BC all that closely. I always thought they had a huge flare at the base...tapering to the top. But this one...inspires me. I could somewhat see how my tree got its shape. Before when I bought it. I didn't think it actually stood a chance at mimicking what nature created. But found it quirky enough to draw my interest.
image.jpg

Maybe it's just me...but I now can see a resemblance to nature in my own material. Now to get those branches wired!
image.jpg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Awesome trees! The cypress here look nothing like those. It looks as though the lake level has fallen 3-4 feet over the last 100 + years or so and has exposed more of the root bases. By contrast, the water level in our local lakes has risen over the past several hundred years, concealing much of the flared bases of the our bald cypress.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting tree you have. Should let trunk grow out in bigger container;).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting tree you have. Should let trunk grow out in bigger container;).
Lol it's a Kifu size that is quite manageable. I'm fine with it. It has a feminine look...which works for me. I'm sure in time it will thicken even in a contained environment. It's not what I'm focused on though. My main focus...just keeping it happy and healthy. I love its size.

Will toss some wire on it...but leaving for an Anniversary weekend so maybe when I get back in. (July 14th is the actual day. But realistically coming in on the 11th of July from being away on a mission trip for two weeks. We won't be up to taking off again. Just trying to get back into the swing of things is more realistic.) So the hubs surprised me with this coming weekend away. (27 years together)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Always appreciate a few good BC photos. Also love the first photo. They're one of my favorite trees, but as a Yankee I don't see many great examples. Everytime I visit my girlfriends parents in NC I make it a point to go out kayaking and see a few.
@Cadillactaste I like that your tree has movement low in the trunk. That's what I had planned for a few of mine but after so many examples of stick straight 5" trunks I was starting to wonder if it was a bad idea. Now I can see it's not

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene,

now we can start training the swamp cypress we have -------------- BIG THANK YOU !!!!!

Of course one should also say thank you to Seth and Mr Valavanis.

So it is trunk to root and interesting top.
Glad no one rushed into training the one we have.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom