Theft at Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt

Reaction score
8 trees were stolen from the Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt Wednesday night.
Be on the lookout. Pass it on.
Contorted cherry
Flowering apricot
Korean hornbeam
Mugho pine
Hinoki cypress
Black pine
Hawthorn
Pomegranate
pomegranate

Reaction score
Stolen trees

Attachments

• 20240118_130607.jpg
    20240118_130607.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 238
  • 20240118_131741.jpg
    20240118_131741.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3381.jpg
    IMG_3381.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 20240118_131819.jpg
    20240118_131819.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 243

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bjorn has said that there have been a number of high profile thefts from professional nurseries in Japan lately. The trees are stolen and shipped to private collectors in Vietnam.
With these being high profile quality trees, i wonder where they end up. Makes me think they are being shipped out of the US.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

News report on ABC 7

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

News report on ABC 7
This is the problem.... quoted from the article.

"Volunteers reached out to Oakland police but say they got no response and no officers showed. We reached out to OPD and also got no response about the incident."

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bjorn has said that there have been a number of high profile thefts from professional nurseries in Japan lately. The trees are stolen and shipped to private collectors in Vietnam.
I had heard of the theft... not the rest of the story of the private collectors.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very sad! What a loss. This seems like it’s starting to become more common.

I don’t know much about tracking devices. Is this something people use?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very sad! What a loss. This seems like it’s starting to become more common.

I don’t know much about tracking devices. Is this something people use?
Most tracking devices like apple air tags let everybody know if they're close to a device for an x-amount of time.
I remember a couple days ago about a guy posting on a motorcycle forum that his android phone notified him about an apple air tag being present near him. The seller "forgot" his air tag under the back seat and sold the bike without a second key.
So the guy now stores his motorcycle indoors, because his location is marked as "potential easy victim".

There are other devices out there but the thing is.. They're either easily removed or the battery has a shorter lifespan than a repotting cycle would take. That, and some aluminium foil would block out all potential GPS signals.

In my country, even if you can prove someone took your device by providing the GPS and camera proof to the police, your case might not get solved because it's just a tiny theft that doesn't make headlines. Worse even, if you take matters into your own hands, you might get sued for harassment or slander.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most tracking devices like apple air tags let everybody know if they're close to a device for an x-amount of time.
I remember a couple days ago about a guy posting on a motorcycle forum that his android phone notified him about an apple air tag being present near him. The seller "forgot" his air tag under the back seat and sold the bike without a second key.
So the guy now stores his motorcycle indoors, because his location is marked as "potential easy victim".

There are other devices out there but the thing is.. They're either easily removed or the battery has a shorter lifespan than a repotting cycle would take. That, and some aluminium foil would block out all potential GPS signals.

In my country, even if you can prove someone took your device by providing the GPS and camera proof to the police, your case might not get solved because it's just a tiny theft that doesn't make headlines. Worse even, if you take matters into your own hands, you might get sued for harassment or slander.
Well stated. I understand exactly.

Top Bottom