Landscape Juniper - what the heck is this "pod" ?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Appreciate anyone being able to ID this "growth". Never saw it before and the plant appears healthy otherwise. There is about twenty of them. They are grey and feel as if they are full of air like a rubber ball...

IMG_0310.JPG

Thanks !
Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Squash it. Throw them on the ground, and they'll wiggle their way to find some other plant to hang on to.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Throw them on the ground, and they'll wiggle their way to find some other plant to hang on to.

Nah - the other plants to hang on to are kind of expensive to replace. I can trim off the pods and destroy them and then treat the plant;)

Grimmy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
bagworm and gypsy moth are similar. Throw the bags into a garbage bag and out with the trash. If you are warm enough that buds are popping on deciduous, you will need to spray. Malathion will work most likely - read label to see if listed on malathion label. organic - a BT product might work or a pyrethrum based product. Resistance is common with pyrethrins. Not organic - Merit or imidiproclid for a systemic would work.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
bagworm and gypsy moth are similar. Throw the bags into a garbage bag and out with the trash. If you are warm enough that buds are popping on deciduous, you will need to spray. Malathion will work most likely - read label to see if listed on malathion label. organic - a BT product might work or a pyrethrum based product. Resistance is common with pyrethrins. Not organic - Merit or imidiproclid for a systemic would work.

Here the buds on everything are just starting to show as bumps on the Deciduous. These "bags" are still far from hatching so I am removing them today and will follow up by removing any interior dead growth. It is a Landscape plant on the direct center of bordering yards and we have great neighbors so it won't be a problem. Also inspected their other overgrown shrubs and found no such problems. Our Cedars, Spruce, and other conifers look unaffected as well. When it is cleaned up I am using the Malathion more as a preventative at this point - The Agri center told me it really should not be needed but won't hurt... I told them it will make me rest better :p

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think fire would best disposal method.

I agree but sealed bags that go directly to landfill will as well for now. Our fire pit is still buried in the shed for the Winter :oops:

Grimmy

Top Bottom