Larch new buds doesnt look good

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oops! When we stray from Latin... Not certainly hardy in US zone 6b, much less 4. Beautiful, but impossible to keep in Michigan.

Missouri Bot Garden website says zone 4-7 and Monrovia says 4-9.

Last edited:

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So i reduced on watering, but nothing seems to work.. It have new growth but most of needle tips are like this.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Missouri Bot Garden website says zone 4-7 and Monrovia says 4-9.
Wharever else is true, you can't have a Golden Larch unprotected, as in a landscape, in Michigan, not even in 6b where I am. The problem with the zone definitions is they correlate temps without real correlation with the length of the deep cold period (winter). It may get as cold in MO as MI, but the depth of winter can be greatly affected by starting a month earlier and lasting a month longer. In fact, this year, 2019 had one of MI's ugliest long, cold, wet spring that killed several of my trees in the landscape that reached the end of their quiescent period long before the weather would support budding-out. They budded out anyway and the nascent leafs did not fill out on some marginal trees in this area. It has rained every 2nd or 3rd day since the end of winter which lasted all through March. April was like a March, and May was like an April. The ground is wet so instead of warming the soil , the warmth of the sun has to evaporate the moisture before it can warm the soil. Just exactly the way we keep ice from melting in a cooler in the sun by draping a wet towel on it. MI has a wet towel on it. Last night I slept under the same blanket I use in mid-winter. boo hiss

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I did so more reading elsewhere and apparently they need a long, warm gowing season which is one reason they supposedly do well in the SE. Now if I could only find a good source of seedlings—hint, hint.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Now if I could only find a good source of seedlings

They're easy to find in Europe (ex: https://www.semencesdupuy.com/en/produits/coniferes/pseudolarix.html), so I guess it must be found in the US too.

Edit : Oops, seeds are easy to find, but seedlings are very rare, although they're rather common as "mallsai", most of the time in "forests" of 3 to 5 small ones about 10 inches. I saw some in individual pots a week ago, S-shaped like Chinese Ficus, for a small price. I suppose that seedlings are hard to find because they don't fare well in our climate, which I think is milder than where you live (?).

Frankly, not worth the hassle when you can grow local species like tamarack, or other species more suited to your climate (L. kaempferi, L. eurolepis, etc.)

Last edited:

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They're easy to find in Europe (ex: https://www.semencesdupuy.com/en/produits/coniferes/pseudolarix.html), so I guess it must be found in the US too.

Edit : Oops, seeds are easy to find, but seedlings are very rare, although they're rather common as "mallsai", most of the time in "forests" of 3 to 5 small ones about 10 inches. I saw some in individual pots a week ago, S-shaped like Chinese Ficus, for a small price. I suppose that seedlings are hard to find because they don't fare well in our climate, which I think is milder than where you live (?).

Frankly, not worth the hassle when you can grow local species like tamarack, or other species more suited to your climate (L. kaempferi, L. eurolepis, etc.)

Well, I am pushing the envelope with my American and Japanese larch here in North Carolina. They have been grown here as bonsai successfully for decades but now that it is getting warmer here I wonder if they will survive our summer heat and humidity. Just 10 years ago when I moved down here we only used our air conditioner about 2 weeks in the summer but it has already been on for 6 weeks this year. Golden larch appear to be much more tolerant of this new climate so I may just have to buy some seeds and go at it.

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, lets see how my europian larches will do this summer. I have also hot weather with 30+ C last 2 years. Hope it will be ok with my trees.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I speculate that you can't grow Larix and Psuedolarix in the same place. You can grow one or the other, or maybe neither in a middling zone. I don't know much, or anything, about the Larix varieties other than Tamarack which does not grow in areas that get much hotter than mid-Michigan in summer. The other Larch varieties are likewise native to cooler climates, too, some up to the end of the Arctic limit for trees. Monrovia sells them.

Top Bottom