Larch not elongating

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I repotted a Larch this spring (end of March, with buds just opening). Since then it really hasn't elongated at all. I was looking at Ryan Neal's "Larch Pruning" video which was filmed on 6/1/18 and his larch has LOOONG fronds. Mine are still just opened bundles of needles. Is this normal for Larch after repotting? It's a new species for me. I'm a couple hours outside of Seattle (on the wet side). It is potted in Acadama/Pumice/Lava, 1/3 each, and otherwise seems super healthy. IMG_3166.jpg

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I definitely have two types of buds on my larch, one type elongates and the other is just like this and does not. I would love to understand the differences. This is a grove I only got last June, so I’m still learning as well.

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I definitely have two types of buds on my larch, one type elongates and the other is just like this and does not. I would love to understand the differences. This is a grove I only got last June, so I’m still learning as well.
Well, that's interesting. I figure it's just because I repotted this year. The tree is telling me not to mess with any pruning, etc. It seems perfectly healthy otherwise. I got it earlier in the spring from a local grower. Will learn by watching!

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Probably still recovering. I repotted 20 this spring, lost 5, and have 5 others still sulking. All 10 American larches are doiing great whereas the J. larches are the ones that either died or are sulking. I probably overworked them so it is taking longer to recover.
Yes, this is a Japanese larch, so I'm guessing that's it - sulking.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm, likely the roots must of received more of a cutting then they liked. Mine took a couple months to get started last year, but accelerated in the summer. This year both took off like a shot in all directions despite being wired during the late winter.

Give them some decent sun and space them out.

cheers
DSD sends

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in Redmond and I picked up a Paper Lanterns Japanese larch this spring at a local nursery. Repotted 1/3rd root reduction into an Anderson flat on April 1, a bit late because the brushes were already partially opened.

It certainly sulked for a bit, and I think some of the growth was truncated, but it now has some elongation. Yours is certainly behind, but otherwise looks healthy to me.

Mine, a few minutes ago:
PXL_20210604_235807260.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most likely the tree has enough strength to live right now and it is building roots so that it can support more foliage growth. I think it is totally fine and healthy but it is building strength. Don't prune it at all until it starts to elongate really nicely.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, to add to the confirmation: Larch do not really like rootwork and can sulk for months. I put together a forest in spring 2019 and that one has taken till this spring to really start growing. A small one which was severely rootbound got a serious roottrim this winter and now only has rosettes. Just care for it normally, ensure not too much heat gets to it in summer and it should pick up later this summer, or next year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At least half of the ones I collected in November are doing this. This is why you need to collect 100 of them and not 50...

Top Bottom