Larch

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
I have a larch with a streight trunk abt 3ft x2inch I would like to chop it to about 1ft high is there any problem with the tree buding back on the old trunk and what is the best time to do this any advice apreciated

Many thanks

Baz

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
My experiance with Larch is that they will but back but usually not where you want them to. I would consider a chop point that saves a branch to use as a new leader. You will probably not get budding below that though. In any case be patient. You will get much better results working with a tree that is vigorously healthy - which usually means a couple of years after collecting. You don't say what the origin of the tree is?

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Baz, It would help to know what part of the world you are in, and is this a collected tree? Could you show us a picture of your larch? That would start the ball rolling. :D

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will get much better results working with a tree that is vigorously healthy - which usually means a couple of years after collecting. You don't say what the origin of the tree is?

I agree in ground grown trees accumulate much more vigor than stressed potted specimens. I would therefore recommend planting the tree in-ground for a few years before hand (if it was not collected, or been potted recently).

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi All
The larch was purchased from Harry Tomlins Bonsai nursery at the end of last year I am not sure what veriety it is at the moment it is just a bare tree with no foliage as we are in our winter

Baz

Leicestershire England Zone 8

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Winter is a good time to study a tree in preperation for doing substaintial work because you can see the structure so much better. As bonsaiTom said, we would all like to see a picture of this larch. You will get a lot of thoughtfull opinions if you post one or two.

I know it is hard to tell how vigorous a tree is when it is not growing but a tree purchased from Tomlins Bonsai is probably "well established" as they say and ready for work.

Top Bottom