Larger Coiled Kishu Juniper Raw Stock

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
I purchased a really nice kishu juniper from Chris Kirk at Telperion Farms a few months ago, so I thought to post a few pics to show one of the pieces I'll be working on next year.

Front:
View attachment 28006

Left:
View attachment 28007

Right:
View attachment 28008

I loved the movement in this tree from day one. I think it has a lot of character, raw elegance, and affords some very nice options as far as orientation goes.

Soon I'll post some pics where the angles have been changed.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nice one John, looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Real nice will be an amazing tree...
Rishi.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Judy and Ris. Hopefully, I can do this one some justice.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sick piece of material, John. Good luck and please keep us posted on this one!

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Ris,

Thanks loads for providing the link on Graham Potter; there's a ton to learn from him. I was glad to see that he pointed out what to look for as far as identifying the deadwood areas, although I wish he would spend a video just on that subject alone, if he already hasn't. You can see the maturity and health of the material.

Finding the quality material as seen in the video isn't as hard as one may think. I'm not sure of your location, but if you are here in the states then take a look at the materials from Telperion Farms, Evergreen Garden Works, Golden Arrow, or if you live on the East Coast check out Nature's Way Bonsai. This barely scratches the surface and I'm leaving out too many to be sure.

BTW, if you don't see something one the site, then email Chris, Brent, Andy or Jim and let them know what you are in the market for and your price limits and let them send you some pics. You wont be disappointed.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man great choice, looks fantastic already. I love the front side as it is this can't help but be a great tree.

ed

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ris,

Thanks loads for providing the link on Graham Potter; there's a ton to learn from him. I was glad to see that he pointed out what to look for as far as identifying the deadwood areas, although I wish he would spend a video just on that subject alone, if he already hasn't. You can see the maturity and health of the material.

Finding the quality material as seen in the video isn't as hard as one may think. I'm not sure of your location, but if you are here in the states then take a look at the materials from Telperion Farms, Evergreen Garden Works, Golden Arrow, or if you live on the East Coast check out Nature's Way Bonsai. This barely scratches the surface and I'm leaving out too many to be sure.

BTW, if you don't see something one the site, then email Chris, Brent, Andy or Jim and let them know what you are in the market for and your price limits and let them send you some pics. You wont be disappointed.

Thanks John,
I will check those nurseries you mention, I like watching Mr Potter spin something out of
what would look like notting...

Best regards,
Rishi.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
John
where do you see this tree heading as far as it's eventual style ???
Very nice material...
:)

Thanks Stacy,

The material reminds me of an old painting I saw of a coiled juniper. I actually working on a virt. for the idea in mind and I'll post it as soon as I have it done.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey john,
Any update for your super juni?

Rob this is the same juniper you're kicking yourself about lol.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey john,
Any update for your super juni?

Rob this is the same juniper you're kicking yourself about lol.

lol... You're right... I didn't recognize it. Ok, I feel a little better now. One, because I was like a year too late, not recent at all. Two, I know John will do something good with it and I will get to see it after the work is done.

Rob

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
yep, that's me...

I always leave these things alone for a year or two and allow them to grow. This one is doing really well. Everything that I've purchased from Chris at Telperion Farms is exceptionally high quality and incredibly healthy.

I do have an idea in mind, so I'll take some shots and and post them to see whether or not you juni guys think it makes sense or if I'm just chasing butterflies. Really the idea, if you can visualize this, would be taking it and turning it 90 degrees to the left; not quite a cascading piece, but something that...well you'll see when I get some pics done this week.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was up in NYC for the past few days.

Top Bottom