Late Season Growth Flush - Pines

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have a couple department store trees in their second year with me that have a couple flushes of growth going pretty late in the season for everything I’ve read and seen about pines. My understanding had been that typically pines will flush once or twice dependent on species. These had both flushed out heavily in the springtime and the Mugo had again in response to some pretty heavy pruning work. As I recall on the Dwarf Alberta Spruce this is all I’ve seen since that initial growth. Is this indicative of anything I should be considering or worrying about? The Mugo is doing so rather uniformly with a small amount of needle production in multiple places while the Spruce is only doing so in a few spots around the tree whereas it had exploded pretty much everywhere in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_7162.jpeg
    IMG_7162.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7164.jpeg
    IMG_7164.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7163.jpeg
    IMG_7163.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 14

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a forever flushing mugo (mughus variety, or the wildtype) that hasn't stop growing ever since I got it. It doesn't care about seasons. I removed 50% of the plant when I got it.

I think it's a sign of stress but when I left it alone for 2 years, nothing changed. Sometimes, plants do be like that.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have a forever flushing mugo (mughus variety, or the wildtype) that hasn't stop growing ever since I got it. It doesn't care about seasons. I removed 50% of the plant when I got it.

I think it's a sign of stress but when I left it alone for 2 years, nothing changed. Sometimes, plants do be like that.
This one has certainly lived through some stress. I reduced it a good deal when I initially got it and it overwintered fine, flushed out nicely this spring. It then seemed to really start to go backwards and given the amount I’ve read about it sometimes taking years for a Mugo in a bad way to die decided to try something of a last ditch effort. I thought maybe the flush coupled with the root reduction I’d done during the spring repot beforehand had thrown the tree out of balance so I further reduced it down to one main branch and a couple back buds that had appeared. It seemed to like that and bounced back quite a bit to the point it is now, back buds having grown solidly and growth continuing on at the main branch sites as pictured. I really feel I’m getting the hang of my deciduous as their responses to stimuli are much more readily apparent and rapid but pines still have me stumped a bit. Hoping I can carry them both along though!

Top Bottom