Late Season Growth

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just a few of my trees in the making that are growing a second or third flush this year....
All my yews, minus the one I cut all the roots off of, are in a second or third flush respectively.
My Chinese elm(s), which I air layered this year and made 2 elms of, have been growing since the separation, then got completely defoliated a few weeks ago by black spot fungus...and are now still pushing.
Spirea still pushing.
Azalea pushing again.
KIMG1366.JPGKIMG1367.JPGKIMG1368.JPGKIMG1369.JPGKIMG1370.JPGKIMG1372.JPGKIMG1373.JPGKIMG1375.JPGKIMG1376.JPGKIMG1377.JPG

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking Good!

I haven't seen much growth this fall down here, most of my trees are looking like crap at the moment...

Weirdly, the last growth I got was probably late July-early August, during the hottest part of the year...

I think I'm losing a Field Maple air layer I just severed on Monday :mad:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking Good!

I haven't seen much growth this fall down here, most of my trees are looking like crap at the moment...

Weirdly, the last growth I got was probably late July-early August, during the hottest part of the year...

I think I'm losing a Field Maple air layer I just severed on Monday :mad:
I lost a few trees this year.
My Liriodendron bit the dust after being uprooted during the move to the new house...I didn't have it wired in because it was very deep, screwed to a tile, but it still got the worst of the move.

My blue rug, very sadly is gone....after it's most recent reduction this year, it just went brown...it was weird, haven't figured that one out yet....maybe just overworked I think.

I lost my mugo after a reduction and wiring... surely overworked...

Sucks...but I have many doing very well, despite the move....and I'm happy overall.

I do want another Liriodendron though....I ain't done with that quest.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It always sucks losing trees, the only things I lost were some dwarf boxwood that didn't make it out of winter and one crape (all my crapes didn't leaf out til July).

At this point though, I have so much that I should probably lose some, as long as it's not my "better" trees ;). I have a lot of crap laying around that probably doesn't have a chance for any glory...

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It always sucks losing trees, The only things I lost were some dwarf boxwood that didn't make it out of winter and one crape (all my crapes didn't leaf out til July).

At this point though, I have so much that I should probably lose some, as long as it's not my "better" trees ;). I have a lot of crap laying around that probably doesn't have a chance for any glory...
Haha, yeah...

Well, I've been seriously considering not taking on any more deciduous trees.
I've always had issues with most all of them.
I think it's due to my need to water on schedule...my work schedule... which ends up in over watering.
Especially when I'm On-Call in the summer, I might be out for 20 hours, 70 miles from home, on a 100+ degree day with a steady breeze...so I water them when I leave and when I get home.
I do hold off on watering when I can, especially this time of year, when nights are cooler....and not all the trees dry out every day in the summer...but some do.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I couldn't keep up with watering when I had plants in inorganic, even with auto-watering they still didn't look good; so I feel ya on that...

I seem to have the opposite problem, I can't keep conifers alive. I even somehow kill bald cypress, which sucks because I have a deep love for them. I have one I'll probably either chop or repot next year, but chance are good it'll be dead by summer :confused:

But you're definitely doing something right, because your stuff looks good. I love your spireas!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I couldn't keep up with watering when I had plants in inorganic, even with auto-watering they still didn't look good; so I feel ya on that...

I seem to have the opposite problem, I can't keep conifers alive. I even somehow kill bald cypress, which sucks because I have a deep love for them. I have one I'll probably either chop or repot next year, but chance are good it'll be dead by summer :confused:

But you're definitely doing something right, because your stuff looks good. I love your spireas!
Thanks man!
The Spireas, both of them have really surprised me...I mean I abused the root systems and plopped them in lava and pumice....and they have both been awesome to watch and work with a bit.

Had you tried keeping the BC in a tub of water?
I just took mine out a week ago...been in the tub for 2 summers now.
Rocking and Rolling! Noticable thickening of the trunk and good foliar growth.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't tried tubs yet, I have a small pond that's a mosquito magnet and didn't want to entice anymore... And also because every year I've had BC, I get some fungal tip blight or something on them, so I never wanted any potential extra fungal issues. My yard is mostly shady and wet, that's part of the problem but actually my BC is looking good right now and I'm afraid to touch it :eek:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Thanks man!
The Spireas, both of them have really surprised me...I mean I abused the root systems and plopped them in lava and pumice....and they have both been awesome to watch and work with a bit.

Had you tried keeping the BC in a tub of water?
I just took mine out a week ago...been in the tub for 2 summers now.
Rocking and Rolling! Noticable thickening of the trunk and good foliar growth.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I haven't tried tubs yet, I have a small pond that's a mosquito magnet and didn't want to entice anymore... And also because every year I've had BC, I get some fungal tip blight or something on them, so I never wanted any potential extra fungal issues. My yard is mostly shady and wet, that's part of the problem but actually my BC is looking good right now and I'm afraid to touch it :eek:
Lol!
I hear ya, dont touch it! Haha!

I only have the one.
So far I love it.
Never had any fungal issues or issues otherwise...
Last year I flushed out the tub daily.
This year I flushed it out bi-weekly out of shear laziness....all good either way...

We got mad skeeters anyway...

Top Bottom