leave in grow pot or plant ingrown 4 Amur maples 1 small Chinese Elm

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The picture of the amur maple is the biggest of the four other three maples are about 14 to 16 inches tall pencil or pencil and a half thick truck. Lol Question leave in grow pot or plant in the ground or if I leave and grow pot outside will they be OK over the winter or plants in the ground next spring.forgot one small Chinese Elm I know it's best to plant in the ground they will grow much faster

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    342.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 64

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would leave them in the pots. You can group the pots together and heap mulch or hay, say, around the outside up to the depth of the rims. Alternatively, you can also bury the pots in the ground to protect the roots over the winter. Even though you need to be prepared, you do not need to do any of this until you are experiencing the normal overnight frosts of late fall (or early winter, depending on your view).

If you decide to bury the pots, choose a location where water (from snow melt, say) won't accumulate. If they are burred in a low spot the roots could drown - they still must get some air.

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for your reply I have an unheated garage I will put a couple in there and maybe a few in the window wells outside

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd put that Amur in the ground for sure. I have one going in the ground tomorrow. About the size of yours.
But if you don't no need to worry. I don't even have weather cold enough to hurt those trees.

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'd put that Amur in the ground for sure. I have one going in the ground tomorrow. About the size of yours.
But if you don't no need to worry. I don't even have weather cold enough to hurt those trees.
I have very cold weather where I'm in Chicago area will the roots Have a enough time establish over the winter that's my concern

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have very cold weather where I'm in Chicago area will the roots Have a enough time establish over the winter that's my concern
You only need to slip pot it into the ground. The roots will be fine. These trees are rated for zone 3 winters. They're from Siberia. They can take any winter in the United States and not break a sweat. They handle the 20 to 30 below temperatures I get in winter easily in pots just sitting on the ground with straw covering the pot. They probably don't even need that they're so cold resistant
And they grow fast. In a couple years you can lift it cut the roots back drastically,screw it to a board and pop it back in for another until you reach the desired fatness.

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is good to know. Next Few days I will dig some holes around my house and plant Amur M Does the same apply to a Chinese Elm my understanding is they're not as hardy as an amur maple but should I leave in grow pot or plant inground since it's so small Thanks for your reply and help

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is good to know. Next Few days I will dig some holes around my house and plant Amur M Does the same apply to a Chinese Elm my understanding is they're not as hardy as an amur maple but should I leave in grow pot or plant inground since it's so small Thanks for your reply and help
I have a hard time with Chinese elms here. They don't make it through the winter. It's too cold. They are zone 5 trees at best. If you have access to an unheated garage and mulch it inside of a box. Maybe. Not here but I'm thinking you may be zone 5?

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a hard time with Chinese elms here. They don't make it through the winter. It's too cold. They are zone 5 trees at best. If you have access to an unheated garage and mulch it inside of a box. Maybe. Not here but I'm thinking you may be zone 5?
According to the plant Hardiness zone map I'm 5b I do have access to an unheated garage I will most likely do as you said mulch it inside of a box in the garage

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Then you can also try Japanese maples too if our want I have a Chishio Improved Maple and sharp Pygmy That I will be growing out for a few years to Thicken thy are very small but they will be mulched up inside the unheated garage over the winter that's why I am happy to find out I will be able to leave or plant Amur Maple outside although I have a garage I don't have much room also less work to protect all these plants in the garage lol

Attachments

• IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom