Let's talk Yamadori! (What are you collecting?)

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
lifted an Eastern red cedar this spring, I know they have a bad reputation but so far I'm really liking it. I collected it as a stump of off a shale cliff edge, and will replace all the branches with the new buds that emerge. It's nice that they produce growth from the crotches, so you can chase them back. It was a four foot tree but I had to chop it around 12" to fit it into my bag. My best piece of advice for you is to keep yours well watered. they grow like crazy if you water them like crazy. I don't want to post a pic because there's enough pictures on here of bad ERC, I will start a thread when it's pushed all the new branches and has a new leader growing, it woke up later than my trees because it was from the wild without protection

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My best piece of advice for you is to keep yours well watered. they grow like crazy if you water them like crazy.
Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to the pics when ready. Mine might not look like much yet but I see a lot of potential in it. Hoping the reputation isn't well earned.

@atlarsenal
Great inspiration here. While I'm still learning I've been focused on collecting smaller trees but these have my eye on being more confident and shopping a larger tree. There is a hawthorn in particular I have my sights on.

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
HI @Dr3z in Canada I would be all about three species, Thuja, Larch, and Jack Pine. You can collect some amazing old and stunted specimens of all three. Keep us posted!
Just browsed some of your awesome pics on your insta, found them helpful guidance for next time I'm staring at a tree trying to determine it has potential! Have not had as much luck finding larch but will keep hunting along with thuja and JP.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Another Hawthorn which I collected last collecting seasonView attachment 381934

View attachment 381935
View attachment 381936
I had a hawthorne thorn stuck inside of my foot for a year. This picture makes me very uncomfortable. ... but you did an amazing job on the tree.

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 1.35.10 PM.png

Edit: as far as trees I am collecting, I cleared a bunch of saplings in my yard the last few years and I have a number of oaks that are already trunk chopped and good trees to start with. I have a hornbeam or maybe an elm too but I need to take a closer look.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here are a few that I collected back in Feb. The current pics are crap but I didn’t feel like toting them for better pics.
View attachment 375363
American hornbeam
View attachment 375364
I have this growing in my side yard, is this an elm or a hornbeam? It grows like a weed. This was a trunk chop from last year. The base is about 2.5 inches.

20210621_200230.jpg

And this is an oak. I did a trunk chop, and then 2 years of growth and I think I will do another trunk chop this fall. Then I will dig it up next spring probably.
20210621_200312.jpg
The oak is maybe 2.5 inches across at the bottom. Looks like I knicked the new growth with the lawn mower. 😅

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have this growing in my side yard, is this an elm or a hornbeam? It grows like a weed. This was a trunk chop from last year. The base is about 2.5 inches.

View attachment 381956

And this is an oak. I did a trunk chop, and then 2 years of growth and I think I will do another trunk chop this fall. Then I will dig it up next spring probably.
View attachment 381957
The oak is maybe 2.5 inches across at the bottom. Looks like I knicked the new growth with the lawn mower. 😅
Is the lawnmower part of the training process? I'll have to try that 😄

Pic #1 looks more like an Elm to me but I don't claim expertise. I base that on the time I spend trying to decipher hop-hornbeam aka ironwood (o. Virginiana) from musclewood aka hornbeam ( c. Caroliniana).

@Marco B
Been hunting for a nice hawthorn like that! Love those spring blooms but no luck here. Lake Huron did gift me a Serviceberry last week that was essentially already bare rooted by the waves in some erosion. I'll take that as a runner up but not even close to the caliber on that one...

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is the lawnmower part of the training process? I'll have to try that 😄

Pic #1 looks more like an Elm to me but I don't claim expertise. I base that on the time I spend trying to decipher hop-hornbeam aka ironwood (o. Virginiana) from musclewood aka hornbeam ( c. Caroliniana).

@Marco B
Been hunting for a nice hawthorn like that! Love those spring blooms but no luck here. Lake Huron did gift me a Serviceberry last week that was essentially already bare rooted by the waves in some erosion. I'll take that as a runner up but not even close to the caliber on that one...
Unrelated to bonsai, I was trying to clear some saplings out last year so I started chopping a bunch of trees at the trunk, willy-nilly. Now I am starting to look around and see some potential...

Good on the elm, I like elm too!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several trees tagged for collection on my property and the adjacent forests. I have found a bunch of Pacific crabapple that are short scrubby bushes growing in full exposure on top of the mountain. There's a few Pacific yew and a couple of nice Doug firs. About two acres covered with wild azalea and of course the ever present Vine maples.
I actually put off all collecting this season, besides it being a highly unusual spring, very dry, I have been finishing up my transition to ceramic pots, thus freeing up some space and some grow out containers to receive said collected specimens.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 381956

View attachment 381957
The small leaves look like some sort of elm but the larger leaves look too oval.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 381956

View attachment 381957
That first one I thought looked like an American elm, but I wasn't sure. Ran the pic through the LeafSnap app on my phone (started a review thread for such apps that's floating around here somewhere and I'm liking this one so far) and of the top 5 or 6 suggestions one was an alder species, and all the others were ulmus, including ulmus Americana. So unless you're yard is somewhat swampy it's an elm. Americans can have leaves as big as 8 inches long if that helps narrow it.

Top Bottom