Linseed oil and wax as cutting paste

TheAntiquarian

Sapling
Reaction score
May I enquire about a mixture of linseed oil and bees' wax as cutting paste. They are mixed at the melting temperature of wax to form a paste about as thick as shoe polish. After hearing of the recipe from an experienced gardener I have using this for quite a while for protecting pruning cuts from drying in the garden, and lately in a couple of bonsai experiments, and it seems to work well. Callus forms over it, no problem, after a bit of dryish scar tissue develops, just like in a human wound. Being very familiar with linseed oil and also with natural pigments, like varieties of iron oxides in different hues, I can even add a bit of natural pigment and some natural antiseptic substances in the right colors and in the right order, having experience in wood carving and oil painting I find one can make fresh cuts much less visible right from the start, while keeping them strictly therapeutic for the plant. I wonder if some of the experienced members of the forum might have some ideas to comment on this way of conceiving cut paste (or deadwood finish, if one thinks of it that way).

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Any chance we can see some pictures? I’ve been using cut paste for 25 years-duct seal most recently- and it works and isn’t messy at all… the linseed oil/ wax mix sounds messy.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds dangerous. 🔥🔥🔥 Linseed oil generates significant heat as it oxidizes in air and can cause rags or paper towels that have gotten linseed oil on them to spontaneously combust if left out to dry in the open air. I would think spontaneous combustion could also happen if a little bit of linseed oil got onto some dry leaves or small twigs.

I'll stick with the commercially-prepared Japanese cut paste. It's not like the stuff is expensive or you have to use large quantities of it. I've been at this around 4 years now and I'm still using the same tube of cut paste that I bought in the beginning. The only time I want fire anywhere near my bonsai is when I'm using a creme brulee torch to singe stray fibers sticking out of a newly-created jin or to burn away tool marks after carving with my Dremel.

Top Bottom