little Ponderosa repot

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to prove that Oregon Bonsai collects trees other than the hernia-producing ones that Jason is partial to, I present this little guy. I purchased this tree last April (I think), it was collected in October of 2005. I did the initial styling last June with Walter Pall, and repotted a couple of weeks ago at my study group (led by Michael Hagedorn - yes I feel very fortunate to have access to such teachers!).

The first picture is of the tree as purchased, the next is after the initial styling. Two shots of the process of cleaning out half of the native soil (the front half), the back will be done next repotting. The tree had two long lateral roots which we shortened, they will be trimmed back more next repotting. The tree has done very well, putting out many new roots.

Finally, the tree in its new home. It is in a mica pot, basically selected because it fit. As you can see, the tree has gone crazy with growth, and there are lots of new buds. I will have to re-evaluate some of the braches soon, as there are many more choices to be made now. I don't think I got quite the correct "front" in the last picture.

Attachments

• or.jpg
    or.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 80
  • initstyle.jpg
    initstyle.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 87
  • rts1.jpg
    rts1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 67
  • rtstwo.jpg
    rtstwo.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 56
  • reptd.jpg
    reptd.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 104

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice Darrell. I enjoyed the series of progress photos on this tree. I have a couple of ponderosa about the size of this one (before worked) and have not decided direction yet. I think you gave me some inspiration and ideas. Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice progression series, I like the trunk and you did very well with the dual upper trunks, it works. At this size, you have some serious needle reduction to do in order for the proportions to be realistic, but you have an excellent start here.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a great find! I am impressed with your root pad, that tree is going to do very well. I have heard, but cannot confirm, that these are candled much like Japanese black pine. Is that true?

And you guys just send me some of these trees. Send the photo, I will send the check or credit card. This is the perfect size.

Oh, and tell Michael I said "Hi!"

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice progression series, I like the trunk and you did very well with the dual upper trunks, it works. At this size, you have some serious needle reduction to do in order for the proportions to be realistic, but you have an excellent start here.

Will

Thanks, Will! I beleive the needles will reduce, the older ones (before this last summer) are less than half the lenght of the new growth. Right now I'm letting it get pumped up, and it is putting out new buds and good root growth.

-Darrell

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a great find! I am impressed with your root pad, that tree is going to do very well. I have heard, but cannot confirm, that these are candled much like Japanese black pine. Is that true?

And you guys just send me some of these trees. Send the photo, I will send the check or credit card. This is the perfect size.

Oh, and tell Michael I said "Hi!"

Hi Chris,

They don't throw up long candles like Japanese black pine, but they do have a similar level of vigor. The new buds will probably only extend a inch (maybe more with better feeding/water), but removing the bud will usually cause many new buds, mostly where there are still needles, but a few even on wood up to 5-10 years old (which on a colleted tree may only be a few inches back).

-Darrell

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update on this tree. Repotted it again this spring, removed the last of the native soil. Also shortened the thick roots to the side again, and was able to get it into the smaller (mica) pot. Now need to work on tightening up the foliage, and on needle reduction. Lots of root growth, and lots of new buds, so there will be plenty to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 43

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your ponderosa is developing nicely. I just bought an old ponderosa and your progression posts are very inspiring.
Thanks
walt

Top Bottom