Little white worms/larvae in bonsai soil!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are these anything to worry about?

Sounds like it, anything has the potential to disturb enough soil to kill a tree.
Sometimes I'll just watch em, see what happens. I had a white silkish bubblenest thing on a tree last year, decided to leave it, nothing bad happened.

I killed some good eggs once, or harmless eggs, so I don't react to anything to fast, unless there is a clear need. Of course, there is a level of intimacy I have with my trees that I don't think many people have time for. Well....until now! Lol!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These little fellers been hiding in my junipers for a while.20200529_153614.jpg

Great pic again! That's 2 today! Oops.

It's not an aphid. No visible wings, hides well but moves like a predator. Been leaving em.

The first one I found em on is my blue point that I already noted may have scale, it has 3 different spiders, it's an ecosystem! So I'm leaving it all! Cuz the tree is living!

Sorce

Attachments

• 20200529_153616.jpg
    20200529_153616.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 3

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
These little fellers been hiding in my junipers for a while.View attachment 305915

Great pic again! That's 2 today! Oops.

It's not an aphid. No visible wings, hides well but moves like a predator. Been leaving em.

The first one I found em on is my blue point that I already noted may have scale, it has 3 different spiders, it's an ecosystem! So I'm leaving it all! Cuz the tree is living!

Sorce
Yeah it’s bug season and the tree is still living. The back story on this juniper is that it was a gift I gave my brother and he accidentally nearly killed it letting it dry out, so I took it and have been nursing it back to health. Finally getting green buds to pop as I’ve been keeping it very moist. Also been keeping an organic fertilizer on the surface now that the tree is showing signs of vigor. I’m guessing a fly of some sort just came by and laid its eggs in the fertilizer. Just picking em out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Any ideas what they are?
It looks like a larva of a sciaridae (fungus gnats). They love moisture and organics, although they also don't mind eating young roots. I buy insecticide powder and put it in soil.

Top Bottom