Lonesome Whore

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not Crackhead prostitutes. This is my "prolifically seeding" Rose of Sharon. She is a whore! The Hibiscus syriacus or Shrub Althea.

Lonesome Dove is a Six hour epic TV miniseries.. I will try to use a quote from the film with every update on this thread.

Start with the sentiments regarding my use of "whore", which I don't wish to be offensive.

Gus McRae, "whores got feelings too!"

May 29th, 2017.20170529_122159.jpg

20170529_122136.jpg

From the Craigslist ad.
downloadfile-30.jpg

July 6th.20170706_195227.jpg

Staring to show flowers already.

July 31st.20170731_112251.jpg

Good new life.

August 12th she was starting to open.
20170812_183943.jpg

And today, she is just about unfurled!
20170818_082344.jpg

And she is beautifully ugly!

The straight trunk died to the base, has suckers all around, but ill probly remove it.

This thing buds out of the cut like an elm.20170818_121305.jpg

At 3 ft tall....this is is my biggest tree, plenty big enough for the larger blooms.

It has this three straight sectioned pieces of taper thing goin for it...or against it...but each changes direction a bit.

I think it'll look better once chopped to the first heavy branch stump.
Better proportions on the segments then.

From the looks of it, new branches and "growing this out", isn't going to be too difficult.

Add flowers for days, and months...

What used to be a bane in my yard (prolifically), has now become an adored part of my collection!

Oh and its fully going to survive its boxing next year.
So I'll wrap it up with another quote from Gus.

"Its not dying I'm talking about, its livin'!"

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What used to be a bane in my yard (prolifically), has now become an adored part of my collection!

Crystal has one in the ground and one still potted for planting in Fall. They are way to fast growing for me to even think about potted but the Tortoise eats the flowers like candy. When he is done with what he can reach he rams the tree to try to get more to fall :p He has the one in the ground moved about four inches in a year and I have to stake the thing this weekend!

Cool plants though and the one that is potted is a Sugar Tip variety. The reason I mention it is that the leaf and blooms are smaller - could make a real nice 24 inch or so Bonsai ;)

Grimmy

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crystal has one in the ground and one still potted for planting in Fall. They are way to fast growing for me to even think about potted but the Tortoise eats the flowers like candy. When he is done with what he can reach he rams the tree to try to get more to fall :p He has the one in the ground moved about four inches in a year and I have to stake the thing this weekend!

Cool plants though and the one that is potted is a Sugar Tip variety. The reason I mention it is that the leaf and blooms are smaller - could make a real nice 24 inch or so Bonsai ;)

Grimmy

Thomas!!!!!! Bro, just trying to put some movement in the trunk, that's all!!!:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thomas!!!!!! Bro, just trying to put some movement in the trunk, that's all!!!:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

At 30+ pounds now it is funny to see - He backs up to it and swings his ass back and forth. I must do a short video of it sometime for certain. :p The damn tree really moves a lot too!

Grimmy

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lonesome Dove is the best book, ever, IMHO. But they did a good job with the mini-series, especially the casting.
I can't wait to see what quotes you come up with!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Grimmy
Once potted, they slow down considerably. Mine has been in a pot for three years and I'm thinking about putting it back in the ground or tossing it.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A laudable attempt.

The only Hibiscus syriacus I ever saw displayed as bonsai was at a local exhibition from a club (not my club), leafless and flowerless.

Yet I'm sure that it can be a beautiful large-sized bonsai. So, maybe you can try.

Yes, it backbuds profusely. No, cuts don't heal well. But it's worth trying, isn't it?

Hibiscus syriacus, October 2007:

shol037.jpg

PS: I have one from a cutting I took in late February, it's now 1m50 tall (about 4-5 feet).

But I will keep it as a garden plant, not a bonsai.

hibiscus-syr_170819a.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A laudable attempt.

The only Hibiscus syriacus I ever saw displayed as bonsai was at a local exhibition from a club (not my club), leafless and flowerless.

Yet I'm sure that it can be a beautiful large-sized bonsai. So, maybe you can try.

Yes, it backbuds profusely. No, cuts don't heal well. But it's worth trying, isn't it?

shol037.jpg

PS: I have one from a cutting I took in late February, it's now 1m50 tall (about 4-5 feet).

But I will keep it as a garden plant, not a bonsai.

View attachment 157484
A great example for others to consider. As you know, (but good info for others) they really don't heal all that well. Also, any exposed wood can get kinda punky. I am convinced however with a good base they can make a decent example of bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Wow 10 years, how I would love to see it now!
Thanks for Sharon!;)

And that flower of yours is amazing!

I don't really like azaleas, something about the ONLY pretty.

I like those Ume like @MichaelS s.

Gnarly, Ugly and Pretty.

That contrast does so much more for me!

This thing is definitely going to get More dead.
Nasty as it wants to be!

I'll deal with it until it becomes to much to carry!
Which may have been last week!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't go disappointing......

And since step one is always listening when I have no basis..

I believe..
Once potted, they slow down considerably.

And...

Yes, it backbuds profusely. No, cuts don't heal well.

I figured I would take off some stuff I don't need, and keep some stuff I do need.

When Cap'n Call hands Newt a pistol during their prep to go to Mexico....

"Better to have this and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it"

Which coincidentally....is how I feel about Bonsai information.

So...

I cut off some stuff up here ...20170821_084045.jpg

Rubbed all the callous new growth.
20170821_084202.jpg

Trying to get buds here which seems solid and alive.20170821_084054.jpg

Over all....
Everything here can grow safely without causing reverse taper...it's already there....and I like this friggin image!20170821_090326.jpg

Especially since AlainK's flower has me thinking I may actually have a prettier flower than the one in my yard!

I thought it was just because it was freshly transplanted.
20170821_084438.jpg

If this is the healthy flower....
This whore is going to be way more beautiful than expected!

20170821_084227.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah... @SU2 the water sprouts thread got me thinking about these I have so I got to dealing with this tree via you too!

S....U2!

Thanks!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And...

Sorce
Try to establish primary and secondary branches before putting it into a pot (which you are doing that exactly). This area could be a potential rotting problem for you and I have no idea on how to address it. Your thoughts?

20170821_084054.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Been scoping that area...

Was told that's where it took a snow hit from a roof sheet.
(Google snow)

There are buds to the right and left of it, where the cambium wrinkled out with the bend.

And this thing seems good to put out branches near damage.

The "growing from callous at cuts"...if managed, makes me feel good about at least being able to keep a strong callous around damage.

After that....I don't care if it rots through...which it may, as that front wound directly opposite drinks and holds water!

The bark texture is tight, so it should last a while against rot itself.

Anything above that area, will be allowed to run considerably for a while if used or not, in hopes of building a good callous wall around that wound as close to this back side as possible.

I reckon that's all I got for now...
I'll have a good quote for when these buds pop.
When....sho not if!

Sorce

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom