Longwood Gardens bonsai collection grows

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doug Paul, of the Kennett Collection, has donated 50 notable trees to Longwood Gardens. Interesting article shows East Coast public collections growing:

More pics of trees:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been hearing a bit about this from a few friends and I find it terribly exciting. When my wife and I were courting and when we were newly married, we made it to Longwood Gardens usually twice a year. At one time a young lady that had worked for my wife went to Longwood and was involved in a work study program for a couple of years. This enabled us to meet some people behind the scenes and gave us entrance to places not open to the public. It s one of my favorite places on earth, but life continues to get in the way and we haven't been to Longwood in many years. At that time they had very few bonsai on display and I always wished it would be expanded. So for me this is literally a dream come true.
All you young people who are filled with piss and vinegar need to get up there. I will get up there again but right now my hands are rather tied by my family commitments that prevent traveling.
Thank you rockm for bringing us up to date.

MulleinMan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is very exciting! I wonder if bonsai will become more popular due to the new bonsai area and its availability to the public? Doug Paul's collection is an amazing place and it is wonderful that more people can see some of his amazing specimens.

Reaction score
Very excited for this! This may be a good spot to ask, does anyone local to Longwood know of any Bonsai clubs in the Philadelphia area for someone looking to learn more in a hands-on setting? Thank you!

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very excited for this! This may be a good spot to ask, does anyone local to Longwood know of any Bonsai clubs in the Philadelphia area for someone looking to learn more in a hands-on setting? Thank you!
Following as I've been looking for a club within 1 1/2 hours of me in southern NJ with no luck. The only one I've heard of is the Brandywine Bonsai Society which I think is displaying their members work at Longwood right now.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Following as I've been looking for a club within 1 1/2 hours of me in southern NJ with no luck. The only one I've heard of is the Brandywine Bonsai Society which I think is displaying their members work at Longwood right now.

This is correct.

Top Bottom