Look over there, it’s a weed, it’s a grass, it’s…A POTENTIAL ACCENT PLANT!

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If anybody plans to hijack the thread occasionally for queries in weird stuff they found that’s not bonsai but don’t know what the heck they are, feel free

For now, here are 2 things that I saw that I need someone with a couple more brain cells than me to shed a light on

First
The heck is this? Some grassy thing, but I need more info
IMG_4486.jpeg
2nd
The heck is that? It mostly grows flat like a ground cover, if they sprout from the bottom of my aloe pots I keep them as a moisture guide, if even the weed looks poorly, I should probably water it
IMG_4485.jpeg

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Second one looks like some kind of purslane, very common weed in the same family as Portulaca (not portulacaria) a very popular annual flower.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a lot of both those. The bottom one looks cool and when it starts to flower it looks really cool… until it actually flowers then realize it just looks like a leaf.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The second one is Pilea microphylla, with many common names. It is a short lived tropical perennial that is invasive in wet tropical climates, and a frequent pest in greenhouses. But it looks cool, and would make a good shitakusa.

The first one looks like a Cyperus, but that is a guess.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Michael P think you’re right, Google lens confirms that. I sometimes forget coz I use Opera GX
As for the grass, there seems to be millions of varieties, coz that’s just how the grass do
IMG_4490.png

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That second one is a weed. It’s called nutsedge I believe. You know this little prickly balls that stick to your socks. I’m pretty sure that’s what that is.

Top Bottom