Looking for a book on azaleas

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From the sound of Rick's FB post yesterday, sounds like this one may be sold out pretty quick. He said pre-sales have wildly exceeded his expectations, said he was "floored" by the response for pre-release orders for books. 😁
That was my thought so I jumped on the band wagon. ( I wonder if many of you younger folks know what that means)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was my thought so I jumped on the band wagon. ( I wonder if many of you younger folks know what that means)
Seeing the constant queries about decent English-language azalea books, I knew this one would be pretty popular. Ordered the hard-cover edition 😁

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Seeing the constant queries about decent English-language azalea books, I knew this one would be pretty popular. Ordered the hard-cover edition 😁
Both are hard-cover.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Too bad for me...
The price is quite high with the current exchange rate from US-CAD :(
I just ordered 45 cultivars of Satsuki azalea, that book would have been a great addition to the tool box..
Ill keep my old copy of satsuki by Alexander Kennedy a little more I think!
Ill take the buyers names in note in case I have questions 🤣

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have the Japanese book and basically learned that I will never have a satsuki of that caliber because of my climate. All good ones are grown in a long growing season in the ground. Once the size is achieved then they can handle all sorts of abuse according to that book. I have 3 little shrubs. It is still fascinating and the book is worth it just for the photos of all the beautiful azaleas alone imo!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The book arrived today. Gotta say, it's probably the most comprehensive English language satsuki book I've seen. It's 195 pages and has extreme detail. It's going to take months to get through it. Beautiful book visually as well

Table of contents

Attachments

• bookgarcia3.jpg
    bookgarcia3.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 16

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just checked and mine is in the mailbox. Its really hot, I'm a little under the weather and mailbox is about 200 yards away. Do I go for it or wait until my wife gets the mail about 6:00?
Who knew that life would have such difficult choices. :rolleyes:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hope you get well quick @penumbra

Mine is due today! Can’t wait to see it! Our mail boxis only 50 yards away and I’m doing well, so it’s gonna be in my hands within 30 secs of delivery notification!

btw: I’m setting up Rick to present to PSBA. He should of just stopped by the Milwaukee club this past week per @shinmai .

For those of you who would like to have Rick on the schedule to present and workshop at your club, time to call the powers that be at your local club!

cheers
DSD sends

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The last time I answered in this post I was completely beating around the bush adding the book to my cart, filling out the form but I was backing out at the last minute! The postage was very expensive.. but the book seems well worth it!
Very excited to receive my copy which will arrive by the end of this week.
Thanks @Deep Sea Diver for giving me the little push I needed before it was too late!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Just pre-ordered a copy of Rick Garcia's (North American Satsuki Bonsai Center) new satsuki development/care book. Not cheap, but given other satsuki bonsai books are going for triple that, a good buy.

Picked up my copy at the Milwaukee book signing, along with a stunning old satsuki bonsai.

Book
Garcia book - IMG_20220828_215703302.jpg

Also at the book signing I saw this "little" satsuki 'Shin Nikko' or maybe it is 'Shinnikko'
dimensions are in inches. "Just a little sumthin' from Rick Garcia that followed me home.
Shinnikko
Height : from top of pot - 12.5”, total - 16”
Width : 19”
Depth : 14”
Trunk : 4”:
Pot : Unknown
I'll take better photos when later, when I start working on it. It has been raining a bit yesterday and today. We needed the rain.

IMG_20220829_023146070.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have the Japanese book and basically learned that I will never have a satsuki of that caliber because of my climate. All good ones are grown in a long growing season in the ground. Once the size is achieved then they can handle all sorts of abuse according to that book. I have 3 little shrubs. It is still fascinating and the book is worth it just for the photos of all the beautiful azaleas alone imo!

Kale, you don't have to have the perfect climate to grow your own, do like I just did. Stop buying cheap nursery stock every month, instead set the money aside. Make one significant purchase a year. There were only 3 digits in front of the decimal point for the 'Shin Nikko' that I bought. It was just under a thousand usd. The tree itself was originally imported from Japan a decade or more ago. It had been in the collection of Bob Gould, who due to advanced age (he's in his 90's) had asked Rick Garcia to sell a few of his satsuki. The tree has a few minor issues, but at superficial glance you can't see anything obviously wrong.

You can actually see half of this tree in the lower left photo on page 12 of Rick Garcia's new book. When you consider the time Bob Gould and various professionals have put into this tree over the 40 or 60 years of its age, the price I got it for was quite reasonable.

It is "kinda neat" having a tree that appears in the latest book on Satsuki. Even though it is just a background tree, with only half the tree showing, the other half was cropped. It was not the focal point of the photo.

Point is, you can skip the "nurseryman phase" of bonsai for less than the price of a 10 year old automobile. Stop buying dozens of cheap trees, save up, and once a year, make a significant purchase, one that enhances your collection.

Not trying to bust your chops. When I first started, I was afraid to buy anything expensive, because I was afraid I would kill it. It took a few years, 5 or more years to gain confidence. Then I got cocky. Then I killed a really expensive tree. Now, I am more humble, and it forces me to not be casual about my horticulture. Think before cutting. And don't put off the necessary. Yes, go out and water even if it is too hot to step outside. Especially if it is too hot to step outside. And staying on top of pest infestations, if you see bugs, kill bugs. Don't let them get out of control.

I don't have many trees, 5 or so that I could possibly bring to a club show. This one makes 6, I have maybe 50 cheap things either from nurseries or that I dug for free from the farm. Key is, don't let the cheap stuff distract you from focusing on your "good trees". Too many sticks in pots and you won't have time to create bonsai. You will just be watering sticks in pots. For the last 5 or 10 years, I quit with the nursery crawls. No more new nursery stock. I keep my ear out for intermediate to advance trees coming up for sale from older members of the club that are downsizing their collections or I talk with visiting artist like Rick Garcia, or Ted Mattson, or any of the travelling teachers. There are a handful a real bonsai stores, like Hidden Gardens in Willowbrook IL, that broker trees. And like I suggested, these trees have work in them, so they are not cheap, but you are saving years or even decades of work by spending the money.

So if you are lucky enough that you can afford to do it, pry open that check book, and buy a tree that is more than a couple car payments. You will save years of work.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kale, you don't have to have the perfect climate to grow your own, do like I just did. Stop buying cheap nursery stock every month, instead set the money aside. Make one significant purchase a year. There were only 3 digits in front of the decimal point for the 'Shin Nikko' that I bought. It was just under a thousand usd. The tree itself was originally imported from Japan a decade or more ago. It had been in the collection of Bob Gould, who due to advanced age (he's in his 90's) had asked Rick Garcia to sell a few of his satsuki. The tree has a few minor issues, but at superficial glance you can't see anything obviously wrong.

You can actually see half of this tree in the lower left photo on page 12 of Rick Garcia's new book. When you consider the time Bob Gould and various professionals have put into this tree over the 40 or 60 years of its age, the price I got it for was quite reasonable.

It is "kinda neat" having a tree that appears in the latest book on Satsuki. Even though it is just a background tree, with only half the tree showing, the other half was cropped. It was not the focal point of the photo.

Point is, you can skip the "nurseryman phase" of bonsai for less than the price of a 10 year old automobile. Stop buying dozens of cheap trees, save up, and once a year, make a significant purchase, one that enhances your collection.

Not trying to bust your chops. When I first started, I was afraid to buy anything expensive, because I was afraid I would kill it. It took a few years, 5 or more years to gain confidence. Then I got cocky. Then I killed a really expensive tree. Now, I am more humble, and it forces me to not be casual about my horticulture. Think before cutting. And don't put off the necessary. Yes, go out and water even if it is too hot to step outside. Especially if it is too hot to step outside. And staying on top of pest infestations, if you see bugs, kill bugs. Don't let them get out of control.

I don't have many trees, 5 or so that I could possibly bring to a club show. This one makes 6, I have maybe 50 cheap things either from nurseries or that I dug for free from the farm. Key is, don't let the cheap stuff distract you from focusing on your "good trees". Too many sticks in pots and you won't have time to create bonsai. You will just be watering sticks in pots. For the last 5 or 10 years, I quit with the nursery crawls. No more new nursery stock. I keep my ear out for intermediate to advance trees coming up for sale from older members of the club that are downsizing their collections or I talk with visiting artist like Rick Garcia, or Ted Mattson, or any of the travelling teachers. There are a handful a real bonsai stores, like Hidden Gardens in Willowbrook IL, that broker trees. And like I suggested, these trees have work in them, so they are not cheap, but you are saving years or even decades of work by spending the money.

So if you are lucky enough that you can afford to do it, pry open that check book, and buy a tree that is more than a couple car payments. You will save years of work.
Nice buy for a very nice tree. I second the thoughts about more advanced stock and concentrating on it, instead of an ever-growing stable of nursery stock trees.

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Sound advice @Leo in N E Illinois ! I’m about 5 years into the hobby and gaining confidence in myself to keep a more valuable specimen alive. Also dialing in my over-wintering methods. I would love a big satsuki if I could find one somewhere.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sound advice @Leo in N E Illinois ! I’m about 5 years into the hobby and gaining confidence in myself to keep a more valuable specimen alive. Also dialing in my over-wintering methods. I would love a big satsuki if I could find one somewhere.

Contact Rick Garcia, find out what his travel schedule is. You might be able to meet him somewhere he gives talks all over the country. When I traveled for work I always kept up with the AOS list of Orchid Shows, I d add a day or two at my own expense to the company trip and attend the shows and visit orchid growers. You could do similar for bonsai. Even if an artist is not coming to your home town, you can meet them elsewhere.

Top Bottom