Looking for some advice

Peelyj

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am completely new but eager to have a bonsai, I can only grow indoors, which species is growable indoors? I could buy a light as our house isn't the best for the sun. Thanks in advance for any advice

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You should get more replies, however, in the meantime, I would recommend that you look into Ficus trees for starters. But, with any tree, you’re going to need good strong lights. You’ll probably hear/read more about this in reply posts you get.

Even though your plan is indoors it is helpful if you add your location to your profile. A general area is fine. You don’t have to add to many specifics…and your USDA Zone is also helpful.

Your first goal will be to keep whatever tree you get alive. And, just so you know, I think most of us killed at least one or several of our first trees. Shake it off if you do and just start again…..after all…you'll already have the lights. My other advice…..don’t go out buying lots of equipment for quite awhile. Save that for much later when you really know what actually need.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus is kind of the go to for indoor trees. If you want it to train as bonsai you are going to want adequate lighting.

There are other tropical species that can survive indoors but I know very little about tropicals. Hopefully someone will chime in with more suggestions.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I can only grow indoors
There are many that can be grown indoors for the winter, then spend the rest of the year outdoors. If indoors is your only option, I agree with those above that ficus is a good candidate, although they also enjoy their time outside. Jade or P. afra will also be OK inside, I keep some in my office. I'm sure some others would maybe do OK if you had some good lights but they won't thrive the way they would if they could spend the summer outside.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ficus seems to be the go to for indoor bonsai. They don't even need an elaborate setup because they can tolerate lower light levels and are very hardy. Many other tropicals can be grown indoors. Trees from tropical forests are usually adapted to tolerate low light and periods of wet and dry.
I would start with ficus and then work out from there.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get a Ficus!
Or a ficus!
Don't fall for "indoor" trees online.

Welcome to Crazy!
Everyone agrees!

Lights are best.
Only lights, near windows is bad.
Very close to foliage.
Entertain a drainable oversized drip tray.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Get a Ficus!
Or a ficus!
Don't fall for "indoor" trees online.

Welcome to Crazy!
Everyone agrees!

Lights are best.
Only lights, near windows is bad.
Very close to foliage.
Entertain a drainable oversized drip tray.

Sorce
Boo Hiss on lights. Only have the plants that your windows will support. Houseplants should be where they are "on display" not hidden in some basement in Chicago.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boo Hiss on lights. Only have the plants that your windows will support. Houseplants should be where they are "on display" not hidden in some basement in Chicago.
I kept a ficus hiding for years in a dry cabin, no window, no lights and only a wood stove for heat. Thing looked dead for 6 months at a time and everyone asked why I kept a dead tree in the house. Damn thing still kicking. Sure is ugly as hell though.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have windows as well as lights. The windows may be able to "support" the plants, but they do much better with the additional lights. And they aren't in the basement, or Chicago.

Top Bottom