looking to buy mikawa yatsubusa seedlings or non grafted prebonsai

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
hey its me again guy in asheville looking for more maples to add to my collection, this time I am on the hunt for mikawa yatsubusa non grafted stock either seedlings or prebonsai

kouyou

Sapling
Reaction score
it is an uncommon cultivar in bonsai (not all dwarves are great for bonsai), and you are therefore going to have a very hard time finding a specimen on its own roots

i have a few of these. they can be air layered, so one option would be to buy a grafted specimen with appropriate movement, and air layer it. I do not recommend this.

if i were you, i would look for a flowering (grafted) specimen, and propagate it via seed. these make nice landscape specimens (mine need full shade as of noon). by propagating via seed, you can choose a vigorous specimen with the characteristics you desire which is a great way to find material with good bonsai-potential. it is incorrect to view this as a compromise as opposed to getting the 'real thing'. this is how many 'cultivars' were selected and named, and you'd simply be doing the same thing.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
hey its me again guy in asheville looking for more maples to add to my collection, this time I am on the hunt for mikawa yatsubusa non grafted stock either seedlings or prebonsai

I have several Mikawa yatsubusa maples on their own roots. PM if you are interested I can send pics when I get home from work today.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have several Mikawa yatsubusa maples on their own roots. PM if you are interested I can send pics when I get home from work today.
How did you get them on their own roots, airlayer? I'm considering buying one and would want to layer it but I'm concerned they either don't layer easily or thrive on their own roots. What have you experienced

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How did you get them on their own roots, airlayer? I'm considering buying one and would want to layer it but I'm concerned they either don't layer easily or thrive on their own roots. What have you experienced
Yes by air layer. They do fine on their own roots. I still have 6 available.....they are far from being just rooted cuttings, they are established and being root trained right now.

I probably won't take any more airlayers as the mother tree needs to grow back out. So it will be several years before I get some good size air layers again. Mikawa yatsabusa is slow growing, but look so nice when leafed out. They air layer so-so, but do not root by cuttings in my experience very similar to shishigashira.

Mother tree
20201213_092349.jpg

Air layered Mikawa's
20201213_092320.jpg
20201213_092332.jpg20201213_092609.jpg

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought one from pitoon last year, he was very professional, it shipped great, he let me choose the one I wanted, I almost killed it this year when I chopped more roots off then I should have, but like any other maple they are fighters and it fought back and it just shed its leaves. We had a long fall this year where I live vs last year, I had colors for 5 weeks vs 1 week from last year.

I got such great colors this year

Attachments

• SMR_1807.JPG
    SMR_1807.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 37
  • SMR_2166.JPG
    SMR_2166.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 41

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@SouthernMaple how'd your tree grow this year? I bought one to layer and did a couple of test layers this year. One had roots and the other was calloused without any roots. I separated both as I was just ready to move forward. To my surprise the they both lived through the summer. I'll be ready to layer the primary trunk this coming spring.20211118_165903.jpg

Top Bottom