Looking to buy JM seedlings ( less than 1 year old) for my collection (Southern California)

oshaver

Seed
Reaction score
Starting a Japanese maple seedling collection to eventually grow into bonsai. I'd like to purchase brand new seedlings (<1 yr.)

preferably:
  • Deshojo/ShinDeshojo
  • kiyohime
  • Arakawa
  • Katsura
  • Shishigashira
  • Seigen
  • Yama-Momiji
Im open to other varieties if they make good bonsai, but I try to steer clear of laceleaf varieties.

here's a photo for reference of about the age of what I'm looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_214540361.jpg
    IMG_20230522_214540361.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
I think what you are looking for are cuttings: Japanese maples do not come true from seed, but the seedlings usually share some traits with the parents. Maples are wind-pollinated, so the "dad" could be anyone. (That being said, for obvious traits like coral or cork bark, seedlings work fine enough)

As far as I know, basically the only place to get cuttings of Japanese maples is from Evergreen Gardenworks.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Starting a Japanese maple seedling collection to eventually grow into bonsai. I'd like to purchase brand new seedlings (<1 yr.)

preferably:
  • Deshojo/ShinDeshojo
  • kiyohime
  • Arakawa
  • Katsura
  • Shishigashira
  • Seigen
  • Yama-Momiji
Im open to other varieties if they make good bonsai, but I try to steer clear of laceleaf varieties.

here's a photo for reference of about the age of what I'm looking for.
Where do you live in Cali? I have some year old and older JM, but don't know the variety and you can have them for free, if you want to come by and pick them up? I live in Chino Hills.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sure you've read this before, but I'm going to say it anyways.

JMs do not do really well in SoCal, the water sucks unless you're filtering the water someway. I have a deshojo that I got from Bill Valavanis as well as a Kiyohime, Kotohime, Arakawa, and a seigen maple (+ more im forgetting) from other bonsai folks. The last three are grafted, the deshojo was a cutting grown.

I've found that they don't really thrive as well as the regular green japanese mountain maple. Made me think about giving them to a buddy of mine who loves J.Maples and who lives in a place that has colder winters.

These days I only grow the green mtn JP maples and tridents as they both seem to do better with the heat here.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
California has strict plant importation rules so you're probably going to have to find sellers mostly in California.

Top Bottom