Lowes Colorado blue spruce

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Has anyone ever gotten a spruce from lowes? If so, when would you recommend I repot it without slowing down growth of the tree? I want to make sure the tree is in its best health, but I will be planning to style it hard in at least 2 years.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Best approach, in my view, is to leave it in its pot for now. Spruces dislike heavy root work, and the reality is that your tree has grown in that soil all of its life. You can style it now (it is the right time to wire. Never wire a spruce when it is actively growing or yoi may lose some branches). If you want it to back bud, I would prune hard closer to spring. Do not pinch; instead, let the new growth extend all summer and in August cut back to a bud. Branches without a terminal bud will die. I hope this helps.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Best approach, in my view, is to leave it in its pot for now. Spruces dislike heavy root work, and the reality is that your tree has grown in that soil all of its life. You can style it now (it is the right time to wire. Never wire a spruce when it is actively growing or yoi may lose some branches). If you want it to back bud, I would prune hard closer to spring. Do not pinch; instead, let the new growth extend all summer and in August cut back to a bud. Branches without a terminal bud will die. I hope this helps.
So your saying I can wire it now, let it grow throughout next summer freely, and then the spring after next is when I should do root work? Also when you say now is a good time to style, would I be able to cut off about half the foliage on the tree right now or do I have to wait to cut off a crap ton of branches? And not to sound dumb, but what is a terminal but? Thank you all so much for the knowledge!

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So your saying I can wire it now, let it grow throughout next summer freely, and then the spring after next is when I should do root work?
But lightly. As in take away less than 25% of the roots and do not cut any large roots. in general, I dont touch spruce roots while in development. No need to do it.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So your saying I can wire it now, let it grow throughout next summer freely, and then the spring after next is when I should do root work? Also when you say now is a good time to style, would I be able to cut off about half the foliage on the tree right now or do I have to wait to cut off a crap ton of branches? And not to sound dumb, but what is a terminal but? Thank you all so much for the knowledge!
A terminal bud is a bud at the tip of the branch

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a different approach on spruces. Since they take repotting so hard and might drop some branches and/or might be left in poor health for a while, I repot them first in spring. Then when I start designing a year later, I can be fairly sure I'm not losing anything more branches than I'd like. I agree on all the rest.
I've done the 'style first, repot later' a few times, and it didn't turn out as I wanted to: I lost a couple of important branches after repotting.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a different approach on spruces. Since they take repotting so hard and might drop some branches and/or might be left in poor health for a while, I repot them first in spring. Then when I start designing a year later, I can be fairly sure I'm not losing anything more branches than I'd like. I agree on all the rest.
I've done the 'style first, repot later' a few times, and it didn't turn out as I wanted to: I lost a couple of important branches after repotting.
Good idea, now I'll be sure not to style before i repot just so I don't take any chances. Could I repot in the middle of winter while it is dormant? Will it not know its been repotted and wake up and start growing well in the spring?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't want to give off the vibe that my way of dealing with spruces is better, I just have a different approach. It's not the best: doing the repot first might mean you'll be unable to do much styling for about a year. And styling is the fun part, right?

It's better to not repot them in the middle of winter. I've done it, and it usually puts the tree on hold for a year or two. They all survived, some didn't flinch, but it's risky. If you found a nice blue spruce you want to keep, I'd go easy on it.
I am a little more reckless, so others don't have to be ;-)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since they take repotting so hard

You ever try summer repotting?

It makes the most sense to me to Repot after growth, when spruce is just setting there growing roots for next year.

I've been running a 25-50% initial cut in fall/winter after purchase, next late summer Repot thing that works perfectly.

Sorce

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Has anyone ever gotten a spruce from lowes? If so, when would you recommend I repot it without slowing down growth of the tree? I want to make sure the tree is in its best health, but I will be planning to style it hard in at least 2 years.
I'm planning on a repot in spring with possible styling in fall or spring of 2021. By the way, I'm 45 minutes from you.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good idea, now I'll be sure not to style before i repot just so I don't take any chances. Could I repot in the middle of winter while it is dormant? Will it not know its been repotted and wake up and start growing well in the spring?
Dont repot anything while it is dormant. You want the roots to recover as fast as possible. And spruce require time to recover. Follow the one insult per year rule: If you repot in spring, dont do anything else for a year; if you style, dont repot that year. Spruce can pout for a long time. Give them time to recover before doing anything else to them

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You ever try summer repotting?

It makes the most sense to me to Repot after growth, when spruce is just setting there growing roots for next year.

I've been running a 25-50% initial cut in fall/winter after purchase, next late summer Repot thing that works perfectly.

Sorce
No, never tried summer repotting on spruces. In the summer months I can't give the right aftercare, so I try to stay away from repots during that season.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Spruce are always a long term project tree, there is no such thing as "Instant Spruce Bonsai". If you look at the $5 Box Store Spruce Challenge thread, where many bought sale priced spruce intended as Christmas decorations, you will see all manner of wild chop, prune, wire & repot all done on a cold day in December or January, and if you check the 2016 or 2017 contests, near 100% of these are dead a year later.

The ones that survive, are the ones that people took it slow, and paid attention to the "do the correct technique in the correct season". Those will have survived. Spruce are not absolutely "one insult per year", you can "sometimes" do more, but it is a great mantra to "slow your roll" if you are fighting the impulse to do too much, too quickly.

Spruce require time to recover from root work, there is no getting around this. I picked up a blue spruce (P. pungens) from a nursery going out of business. It had been in its 5 gallon nursery pot for 10, maybe as much as 20 years, totally root bound. The first thing I did was repot it. I removed between 50% and 75 % of the root system. I removed at most 15% of the foliage. It took 3 full growing seasons before it recovered enough to be ready to take the next step and do the first styling. There is no rule, that give it a season and it will be ready for the next step. They take the time they take. Before you do anything, look at the tree in front of you, ask yourself "Is it healthy enough to survive what I want to do now?" and "Is it the right time of year for what I want to do?" If the answer is "No" to either question, "Back away from that tree, give it more time."

I'm largely in agreement with @Wires_Guy_wires - in that if it were mine I would work the roots first, then worry about styling later. One or two or even more years later for the styling. Health of the tree determines everything. Most "off the shelf" bonsai pots are 4 inches or less in depth, they may be quite wide, but the depth will be shallow. When you do your root work, attempt to get the root system shallow enough to fit in a container 4 inches or less deep. I like Anderson flats, heavy black plastic 16 x 16 x 5 inches with mesh bottoms as my grow out containers. They hold roughly 3 gallons (nursery trade gallons) of potting media, and will work well for growing out stock in training.

I do most of my repotting of conifers between July 15 and August 30. It works well for my zone 5b climate, but my summers are relatively mild. I have done late winter, early spring repots, and for spruce they worked well enough. I personally have many demands on my time in spring, late summer has always been easier, due to more free time.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now for spruces, what soil do you use after transplanting right out of the nursery container?

Top Bottom