LZK Cork Oak #1 (Quercus Suber)

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is one of the first "real" bonsai I trees I purchased when I got into bonsai so it's got a special place in my young collection, figured I should start a thread on it. I bought it from @Housguy at Bonsai-a-thon back in April. I was drawn to the graceful movement in the trunk. I know some of that might be lost over time as it corks up but I think it's got a very nice looking trunk.

Here are some pics when I first brought it home:
IMG-3749.jpg
IMG-3746.jpg

It has a section of trunk (where I'm touching it above) that is relatively straight and doesn't taper much. At some point I'll need to figure out what to do with that but for now I'm just letting it grow to continue to thicken.

Here it is after my first summer with it. I've trimmed it up a couple times but basically let it go a little crazy:
IMG-4701.jpg

Just last week I noticed that it is pushing out buds on the trunk. I know these will backbud quite a bit but I wasn't really expecting it on older parts of the trunk. Should I let these buds run or should I pinch them off now while they're still young? And secondly, these buds mean the tree is healthy right? Just want to make sure it's not sending out one last ditch effort before it dies or something, LOL.

IMG-4700.jpg
IMG-4699.jpg

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Little update on this one. Replanted into a box over the winter. It didn’t skip a beat. First picture is early April when I pruned it and added a little wire. Second and third pictures are today. At this point, I’m still trying to fatten the trunk so probably at least another couple years in the box. Right now I’m just letting it go a bit and I’ll do a big cutback in fall or winter.

IMG_5619.jpegIMG_6455.jpegIMG_6456.jpeg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Right now I’m just letting it go a bit and I’ll do a big cutback in fall or winter.
Have you cut back cork oaks at those times before?

On Baikoen Bonsai Club Michael Roberts Cork Oak video (12:15 mark), he said he would cut back one more time in late October and it will push growth everywhere in the Spring.

However, on a recent Mirai video on cork oak, Ryan advocates leaving it alone through Fall and pruning closer to the Spring push. The reason is to maximize energy. It might be splitting hairs for those that can grow outdoors in SoCal all winter. But I think for me going into mildly heated garage with T5 lights for winter, I might do better to leave more foliage on. This will only be my 2nd winter.

You have a nice tree and I like the box. I made a lot of cedar, dog-ear fence plank boxes before the pandemic and then it got hard to find them!

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looking great! The tree looks very happy and is not declining in anyway, love the progression, keep it coming!

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just want to make sure it's not sending out one last ditch effort before it dies or something, LOL.
Just pick off those little shoots, I only keep them where they might lend a helping hand in fattening up the trunk or as a new needed branch.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On Baikoen Bonsai Club Michael Roberts Cork Oak video (12:15 mark), he said he would cut back one more time in late October and it will push growth everywhere in the Spring.

However, on a recent Mirai video on cork oak, Ryan advocates leaving it alone through Fall and pruning closer to the Spring push.
That's probably the difference between the Pacific Southwest and the Pacific Northwest.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like if you choose the thinner side of the fork, you have a nice little shohin going right now.

Reactions: n8

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Have you cut back cork oaks at those times before?

However, on a recent Mirai video on cork oak, Ryan advocates leaving it alone through Fall and pruning closer to the Spring push. The reason is to maximize energy. It might be splitting hairs for those that can grow outdoors in SoCal all winter. But I think for me going into mildly heated garage with T5 lights for winter, I might do better to leave more foliage on. This will only be my 2nd winter.

You have a nice tree and I like the box. I made a lot of cedar, dog-ear fence plank boxes before the pandemic and then it got hard to find them!
It's funny you included that video, I've probably watched it half a dozen times 😂 . I've only been at this a couple years but I'm hoping to cross paths with Michael at some point, his corks are great!

I cut it back in early fall of last year and it pushed out some additional growth before going dormant in "winter". The biggest issue for me right now is space, it's getting a little unruly and large which brings more scrutiny from the wife on how many trees I have.

Thanks on the box. I usually pick up some fence planks from the scrap/culled lumber in the back at home depot. They're like $2 after the 70% discount so these boxes only cost $1-$2 to make, can't beat that!!

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maturing nicely.

Btw, have you had a chance to Michael Roberts about oaks yet? I’ve spoken with him a few times, he goes to all the events, being that he’s the President of GSBF now. He has a lot of broadleaf knowledge.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maturing nicely.

Btw, have you had a chance to Michael Roberts about oaks yet? I’ve spoken with him a few times, he goes to all the events, being that he’s the President of GSBF now. He has a lot of broadleaf knowledge.
I'm kicking myself... He was at my club meeting (OCBS) earlier this year and I was unable to make it. I've watched his videos multiple times so I'd love to meet him and pick his brain at some point, I'll have to keep an eye out for a workshop or presentation he's giving. I got a chance to visit David's garden a while back and I was drooling over one of the enormous corks that he has there. A lot of good resources around here I just need to get out there.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm kicking myself... He was at my club meeting (OCBS) earlier this year and I was unable to make it. I've watched his videos multiple times so I'd love to meet him and pick his brain at some point, I'll have to keep an eye out for a workshop or presentation he's giving. I got a chance to visit David's garden a while back and I was drooling over one of the enormous corks that he has there. A lot of good resources around here I just need to get out there.

Oh yeah, he sold that cork recently. Sorry I missed you.

Top Bottom