LZK Olive Progression

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thought I'd start a progression thread for an olive I picked up a couple years back from @Housguy .

4/2022 - Here it is shortly after purchase. I was drawn to the thickness of the trunk and the good movement down low. This was the original front I was thinking of:
6138648D-2E4E-4923-8C65-572197CB46CE.JPG

5/2022 - Yannick Kiggen was touring the US from Europe and our club hosted a workshop with him (It was great BTW, check him out if you get a chance). We chatted about the tree and decided to do a big trunk chop. We also picked a new front and I went ahead and repotted:
IMG-3966.jpgIMG_3985.jpg

8/2023 - I let it grow out for the most part. Every few months I have to go in and trim all the shoots coming from the base and trunk but letting the leader go free.
IMG_6465.jpg

3/2024- Gave it another hair cut and started putting some thought into the future of the tree. Obviously it still needs to thicken to build some taper but I'm trying to think about the future of the tree. I'll need to bring the apex of the tree back over towards the right on a future trunk chop:
IMG_7744.jpgIMG_7746.jpg

Here's a very rough mockup of where I'm thinking about taking this. I'm concerned I'm making it a little boring by following a very formulaic tree shape- As always, if anyone has any thoughts I'm always open to additional feedback!
mockup.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-3890.jpg
    IMG-3890.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom