Making a move to 8a

pback

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, I've accepted a job offer that will take my family from northeast Kansas (6a) to north central Mississippi (8a). As I alluded to in an earlier post, it will put me about 1 hour from Brussels nursery which is very exciting.

Other bonsai related questions regarding such a move though. Are there any particular concerns regarding the climate change for my existing trees? They are all species that are known to do well down there (Chinese elms, cedar elm, crabapples, blue spruce, a few tropicals), but it will be much hotter and more humid than where we are now when we move in about a month. Any work that's ideal during late summer/early fall down there?

Also, can anyone recommend particular resources in that area other than Brussels and Memphis Bonsai Society (I'll be 1.5 hours south of Memphis)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I've accepted a job offer that will take my family from northeast Kansas (6a) to north central Mississippi (8a). As I alluded to in an earlier post, it will put me about 1 hour from Brussels nursery which is very exciting.

Other bonsai related questions regarding such a move though. Are there any particular concerns regarding the climate change for my existing trees? They are all species that are known to do well down there (Chinese elms, cedar elm, crabapples, blue spruce, a few tropicals), but it will be much hotter and more humid than where we are now when we move in about a month. Any work that's ideal during late summer/early fall down there?

Also, can anyone recommend particular resources in that area other than Brussels and Memphis Bonsai Society (I'll be 1.5 hours south of Memphis)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
I am not familiar with the area you are moving to, however i am familiar with changing locations and transferring Bonsai between climate zones. I would suggest that you allow the tree's time to adjust prior to beginning a work schedule. Unless work is necessary i would wait till spring to begin work after the move. Particularily for older more advanced trees. Just a thought from someone who has been there and done that!

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Of the species you mention, the blue spruce may have difficulty. The species rarely grows in 8a, and is almost impossible even as a landscape plant here in 8a north Texas. It won't be as hot in Mississippi as it is here, and I hope the summer night time temperatures will be lower. And it will be more consistently humid with more rainfall. Give it a try, and good luck.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not familiar with the area you are moving to, however i am familiar with changing locations and transferring Bonsai between climate zones. I would suggest that you allow the tree's time to adjust prior to beginning a work schedule. Unless work is necessary i would wait till spring to begin work after the move. Particularily for older more advanced trees. Just a thought from someone who has been there and done that!

I second this approach. I've moved five times with bonsai, into very different climate zones. Good news is that your winter storage is probably getting easier! I would plan on very limited major work until you see how your trees behave through a full summer. I bet they do great (except maybe the spruce).

Top Bottom