Maple Airlayer

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there a reason why the top and bottom of the maples are a different color? It looks healthy and no signs of anything bad going on with either of the trees, I checked the one and it had a few roots so that was encouraging. I started it at the beginning of April so I will check it again in August and hopefully separate. E2F8EFA4-F8A4-4521-B188-A68B02FAFE36.jpeg

-norwegian_blue-

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The green leaves at the bottom are coming from the rootstock (almost always standard JM). Leaves above the graft will be cultivar specific.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And don’t forget these trees have a mind of their own. You can take 10 seeds from the same tree and end up with 11 different looking offspring.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only reason I asked was because it was all the same color before I did the airlayer and it’s a green Japanese maple, no graft

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm just going to say they are stressed some above the layer. You did wound them, and depending on depth of your wound, some of the layers supplying water up might be damaged a little.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I was thinking the same that they may be stressed, hopefully not bad but they seem to be doing fine.

Top Bottom