Maple ID help

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was on a bike ride earlier and found this maple tree with seeds on it. It looked like Acer japonicum to me but I'm not sure. It was leggy and maybe 10 feet tall. 15386041853012684892102035362684.jpg

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes you're right thanks for the Id help! I just discovered the species yesterday now I know where to collect seeds from:)

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seeds won't come true to type, but hopefully whatever sprouts will still have awesome fall color!

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What about a covert air layer next year?;);):p Mostly joking...
Lol. I couldn't on that one, it's at the edge of someone's front yard theyd surely notice the layer. I'll have to let the seeds satisfy me. As for not true to parent I think I'll enjoy the diversity.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hahaha I could imagine a person coming out and wondering why there's a tin foil ball hanging from their tree!

I guess seeds could come close to the parent, I don't know too much about the cultivar. But yeah, either way you should have a pretty cool tree! I just love all the full moon types of acers, mostly because of the different leaf shape.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hahaha I could imagine a person coming out and wondering why there's a tin foil ball hanging from their tree!

I guess seeds could come close to the parent, I don't know too much about the cultivar. But yeah, either way you should have a pretty cool tree! I just love all the full moon types of acers, mostly because of the different leaf shape.
And then losing the branch and the layer:eek: lol. Yeah and having grown it myself feeling a sense of excitement.

Top Bottom