Maple Seedlings

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a bunch of maple seedlings growing everwhere. ( I don't know what kind, they just grow naturally around here) They are 2 inches to 2 feet. I was wondering, could I plant a group of these in a training box and let them grow as a forest? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Joe

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Depends most on the species of maple; some adapt well to bonsai training, others just don't. Can you give us the species?

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I could. They grow everywhere. I live in the city, just out side of Boston. They line the streets etc.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How large do the leaves get? Got pics?

I hope they are Amur maple. They make nice forests.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If they line the streets they are probably Norway or Silver Maple, neither of which adapt well to bonsai culture. One of the sad rules of bonsai I have learned over the years is this: If the tree is hard to cultivate and hard to find it is probably good for bonsai. If the tree grows every where and can be considered a weed by some it is probably not good for bonsai.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No pictures but the leaves get to be 4 to 5 inches across.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
No pictures but the leaves get to be 4 to 5 inches across.

Probably Norway Maple, a common street tree. It has large leaves and makes an impossible bonsai unless very large.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What would happen if I put 11 or so in a training box? Would it look totally unkept?

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
What would happen if I put 11 or so in a training box? Would it look totally unkept?

Why would you want to do that? The reason for an action is dependant upon the desired outcome.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did'nt take it that way. Emails, posts on the forum, etc. are so one dimensional. Constructive comments are welcome. As someone who is still learning, I welcome all comments.

I was just trying to figure out a way of using something that grows so rampantly around here.

Thanks

Joe DeSisto

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just because its easily available, doesn't mean its worth the trouble...:D

You would make more progress if you identified the species you're working with. A lot depends on that going forward.

You also might want to provide some basic info on where you live--like state and/or city. That also has a big impact on any advice given here

Top Bottom