Maple videos

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wondering if anyone could give me insight on the maple training videos by Boon and Bjorn. What sort of reviews or suggestions for each. Thanks.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
I bought this maple video earlier this week and I have to say I'm very disappointed with it. It's basically a collection of Bjorn's time working in Japan and has a great deal of content in Japanese with subtitles. While it does discuss a couple of techniques (in Japanese!) it doesn't really show enough to help beginners - which you are if you're paying for a video! At $22 or £16, I wouldn't waste your money - I wish I hadn't.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Boon’s videos are very good. They are focused on a nursery tree that he takes through basic techniques of repotting wiring and cut back. Both videos use the same material - a young nursery-bought Japanese maple of the sort all of us have access to. He takes you through the process step-by-step and discusses basic technique. The instructions are clear and the videography is good. Highly recommended. The repotting video, in particular, is extremely important for people starting out in bonsai and the techniques he discusses in both can be applied to a broad range of broadleaf trees.

I like Bjorn’s video as well, but they’re not targeted at developing bonsai. They’re more focused on refinement and maintenance techniques on developed material. The videography is excellent and the trees he works on are beautiful. All the segments appear to be filmed at the nursery where he apprenticed in Japan. My biggest disappointment with Bjorn’s video is that a number of the clips appear to be recycled from his excellent series - The Bonsai Art of Japan. Much of that is still available for free on YouTube, although a number of important episodes have been removed. So you can get a good feel for what Bjorn’s video is all about by watching segments YouTube video series focused on maples. If the content works for you and there is value to you in getting all the Maple-related material collected in one place with additional new content, then it might be a good purchase.

Scott

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Scott - the Boon videos sound what I am looking for. Most of my Maples are all young stock so have years in front of them - I'm getting a raised bed sorted in the next few months and will plant my Maples in here next year and let them grow on to thicken up their trunks.

Please can you share Boon's videos location? And their cost?

Many thanks,

Andy

Top Bottom