Maples in Hawaii

Momoiropanther

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m new to bonsai and was wondering if anyone has had luck growing Japanese maples in Hawaii.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone, I’m new to bonsai and was wondering if anyone has had luck growing Japanese maples in Hawaii.
By and large, maples aren't in the cards for a tropical climate, unless you're at higher elevation where temps get down below 45 or so for weeks in the winter.. Some species (Trident maples) work in subtropical, such as Florida and California. Maples require a dormancy period and hours below 45 or lower to complete their genetic requirements for dormancy. If they never get a dormant period, they will continue on for a year or three, then collapse and die.

Hawaii has a long history of bonsai. Look up Papa Kaneshiro, and Fuku Bonsai You're in tropical bonsai heaven. Ficus, schefflera, all kinds of other species, including Christmasberry, bougainvillea, etc, can be made into bonsai.

Momoiropanther

Seedling
Reaction score
By and large, maples aren't in the cards for a tropical climate, unless you're at higher elevation where temps get down below 45 or so for weeks in the winter.. Some species (Trident maples) work in subtropical, such as Florida and California. Maples require a dormancy period and hours below 45 or lower to complete their genetic requirements for dormancy. If they never get a dormant period, they will continue on for a year or three, then collapse and die.

Hawaii has a long history of bonsai. Look up Papa Kaneshiro, and Fuku Bonsai You're in tropical bonsai heaven. Ficus, schefflera, all kinds of other species, including Christmasberry, bougainvillea, etc, can be made into bonsai.
Thanks for the info!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info!
Forgot to include this link. Might be a good place to start.

and see what's possible

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many of us tend to want to grow the unusual for our climate. Folks in the midwest want to grow tropicals. East coasters want western pines. Resist the urge! Focus on things that thrive in your particular environment.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Many of us tend to want to grow the unusual for our climate. Folks in the midwest want to grow tropicals. East coasters want western pines. Resist the urge! Focus on things that thrive in your particular environment.
With the exception of ficus and Brazilian Rain tree, I agree with you.

I have kept BRT, Willow Leaf ficus and tiger bark ficus just fine here in New York where we get winter for 12 years.
The caveat being that I do provide them with adequate winter protection with supplemental lighting to get them through the winter.

Much easier to keep tropicals in the great white north than maples in the tropics for sure

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is the place for you http://www.fukubonsai.com/

I love the trees that grow in my climate, and actually in North of me. But Hawaii seems to embrace a more Chinese penjing approach, which is super bad ass. Southern China is known for the "clip and grow" style or "lingnan school" because they have a tropical climate that lends itself to continuous growth. I'd embrace that, imo it creates the best trees on earth. And can't really be faked outside of tropical climates without taking 4 times as long. ficus focus baby! welcome to the site, im excited for you

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With the exception of ficus and Brazilian Rain tree, I agree with you.

I have kept BRT, Willow Leaf ficus and tiger bark ficus just fine here in New York where we get winter for 12 years.
The caveat being that I do provide them with adequate winter protection with supplemental lighting to get them through the winter.

Much easier to keep tropicals in the great white north than maples in the tropics for sure

Agreed. Tropicals can be set up inside in a temperate climate pretty easily. The reverse is not true. If you really want a challenge, try to overwinter semitropical broadleaf evergreens in the cold north. Can be done, but it's a lot of work.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The grass is always greener. There are so many trees you can grow in Hawaiian paradise.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think maples in Hawaii are probably going to be an uphill battle, but if you want to try I think you’d have much better luck with trident maple rather than Japanese maple. I wouldn’t be surprised if trident did well there. However, the lack of winter might do it in after a few years.

Top Bottom