Master Schef

Dendrobates33

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey everyone,

I posted a few years ago and need to update those threads, I've been lurking since and the pandemic has been the perfect time to focus a little on bonsai and relax.

I acquired this Schefflera arboricola earlier this year from the founder of our local bonsai club. I had been looking for one for a few months, but had something in mind that I couldn't find. This tree was made from a few cuttings of a root over rock Schefflera in 2012 and has been in training since. The first four pictures are of the plant prior to its time with me.

As with most of my tropicals, I wanted to make sure they adjust to my environment and maintenance before making any alterations besides some pruning to keep it in check. 2020 clearly didn't get that memo and has thrown us all for a loop.

In this instance, the Scheff pulled a perfect back flip off the bench and landed behind, seemingly unscathed during a wind storm. Upon further inspection, I found a small branch snapped, and a cracked pot. The tree was pretty root bound, so a quick gel superglue fix to the pot bought me some time. No soil was lost because of the mass of roots and was able to slip it back in, so I started shopping for a new pot.

The pot size seemed about perfect for the current state, I wanted a little different style and maybe some aging. The new pot is originally from walsall studios and has one side that's a little heavier on the patina, I went conservative on the initial repot.

I haven't done any styling changes other than some pruning to keep it in check. It's a thirsty tree and appreciates the sun, so I've got to keep the leaves in line. I don't see many Schefflera on here, I suppose they are tropicals and not quite a tree, so 2 strikes? I think they're great!

Derekreceived_894274954333145.jpegreceived_530717567643705.jpegreceived_2600392020207749.jpegreceived_2653741301615992.jpeg20200419_132845-01.jpeg20200518_081036-01.jpeg20200608_104613-01.jpeg20200705_145921-01.jpeg20200705_152328.jpg20200705_172615-01.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have gotten nothing for you because I have never wanted this plant, but after seeing your picts, I think I should make room for one.
Really awesome plant

Dendrobates33

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks @penumbra

Next year I'd like to defoliate, check out the branches, and apply wire. It's extremely vigorous and this is the 2nd decent pruning of the year.

Dendrobates33

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. When this plant fell off the bench, I was pretty upset. It sat in the superglued pot and inside of a Rubbermaid container with drain holes to ensure it was protected. This reminded me of a dog head cone! Now the tree looks back to its former glory, plus a little extra!

@Tycoss Dart frogs are a lot of fun, I've been keeping them for quite a while and even have an amphibian based career. If you have Instagram, I'm @dbensoni with many frog pictures.

@amcoffeegirlI think you're absolutely right about the next pot being wider. Some of the overgrown lateral growth will stick around and make a larger horizontal canopy like your picture, that will need a much wider base.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have gotten nothing for you because I have never wanted this plant, but after seeing your picts, I think I should make room for one.
Really awesome plant
I second you on that. I have always thought scheffleras for bonsai were horrible.
But....
Seeing that one so beautiful makes me wonder!
Coincidentally today I was taking a walk on the woods near home and found this one growing wild, picture below:
20200719_094541.jpg

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I second you on that. I have always thought scheffleras for bonsai were horrible.
But....
Seeing that one so beautiful makes me wonder!
Coincidentally today I was talking a walk on the woods near home and found one growing wild, picture below:
View attachment 317072
That's cool. Its a house plant for me so I gotta work on the space.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Dendrobates33
Nicely done Schef. I don't usually comment on them, but this one is very nicely done, pleasant to look at.

I just requested to follow you on instagram, on Instagram I'm LeosOrchids. Thanks
I have an interest in amphibians, though I have not done much with them in many years. Also enjoy herps. When in my late teens, had the "pleasure" of being bitten by a Massasauga Rattlesnake, Now over 45 years ago. And I did not try to kill the snake after it bit me. I don't play with rattlesnakes anymore, but I really enjoy seeing them in the wild.

Top Bottom