Mites that cause no damage?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
For the past 7-8 years, probably longer, when the weather turns warm. There is this out break of what seems to be red spider mites. Red bugs the size of the tip of a sharp pencil or maybe the head of a pin. When they are crushed, they leave a bright red smear. At first, I thought red spider mites, but then I thought maybe they are some kind of other baby spider. I saw a whole bunch today for the first time this season. They scramble around pretty well. The thing is that in all the years that have gone by, I have never seen any dmage related to these things on my trees. They are everywhere, porch, tables and the trees themselves.

I am wondering if there is no damage because of one, it is always windy at my house with constant air cicualtion and two, I shower my trees off quite often. Also, I am wondering if they do not like there own dead. I saw a horticultural show many years ago that said if you mix up a batch of the dead insects you are trying to get rid of with some other ingredients (can't remember) it is a natural repellent. Whenever I see these red bugs, I kill them where they are. On the trees and the tree areas. Leaving their smeared carcass'. I wonder if that might have something to do with deterring their damage.

Anybody else have these experiences.

Rob

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What you're seeing are predator mites. They do no damage to plants and eat the bad guys (spider mites, soil mites, springtails, etc.). Spider mites are considerably smaller than the predator mites, they move much slower, and they make tell-tale fine webbing.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What you're seeing are predator mites. They do no damage to plants and eat the bad guys (spider mites, soil mites, springtails, etc.). Spider mites are considerably smaller than the predator mites, they move much slower, and they make tell-tale fine webbing.

Thanks Stan.. You know, I hesitated a bit today in killing them. Actually have hesitated a bit over the last few years because I wasn't 100% sure they were spider mites. Well, took out a whole platoon of them today. Anyway, I don't feel too bad becasue they are lousy at being predators..lol. .Where are they when scale rises up on my trees every year.:D

Rob

Top Bottom