Monkey poles for chalky ground

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I want to make monkey poles but the ground has chalk just six inches below.

what are options? Can I use fence post spikes? DoEs the fence spike work or will it become lose and sway sideward with time.

Digging in the ground is very difficult to do myself. If I have to employ professional that’s very expensive and will result in a divorce :)

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
I have chalk under the soil pickaxe and bolster and hammer should be not to bad
I don't think I can do this kind of physical job, to be honest.

"Will fence post spike do the job", that's my question?

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
If you can drive them into the chalk they will work, this can be quite physical as well
Yes but that wont take much time. That's why I am checking with this idea. Have you tried this yourself Lutonian.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
was the spike not as strong as the one with hole dug?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I assume by fence post spike you mean 3 side steel post (we call these 'star' posts in my area) or something similar.
Larger posts have a greater surface area so it takes much more pressure to move a large wood post or one in a large lump of concrete through the soil. Thinner spikes have less surface area and can move sideways more easily. Simple physics. Thinner steel posts can also bend but one on each side of a thicker post will be much more rigid.
I think that a spike on each side of the post should be sufficient to hold up most bonsai display stands unless you have a cow or horse in the habit of leaning on them. The further you drive them into the chalk the more holding power they will provide. More screws or similar into the pole above ground will provide better bracing too.
There are probably many other options for hammer in anchors that would be suitable.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far.
Does anyone have experience as to how easy/difficult is using a manual augur to dig in chalky ground?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chalky like flint, quartz, silica?

I would just use a wide base and something like a tent spike hammered down to pin the legs if necessary.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In the Midwest USA we have nothing like the chalky ground you are dealing with, maybe out Texas member with experience with Caliche could chime in? The only thing like chalk that I can think of is caliche. Though in the desert southwest USA there are areas with gypsum soils. Except we usually are smart enough to not live there, except for those who call Nevada home. (just teasing).

Key is, chalk does not have structural strength, but it is difficult to dig through.

Top Bottom