Moving from indoor to outdoor

LordHill

Seedling
Reaction score
(First Post Introduction)
Hello, I'm very new to bonsai. With the exception of "bonsai-ing" the first pepper plant I ever grew for overwintering purposes (kept it for 5 seasons), I have no practical bonsai experience.

I am a jump in with both feet kind of hobbyist, so I have lots of sprouting seeds, I have plans to get nursery stock, and I have access to lots of trees as I live on a farm with various woods, which i started scavenging and potting about a year ago.
(Enough About Me)

My question today as a beginner with baby trees, how sensitive are they to the sun when spring/summer hits and they are moved outdoors? I have killed various plants by rushing the transition. Are trees more hardy to things like this?

Attachments

• 20160212_171032.jpg
    20160212_171032.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 19

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I reckon trees and plants have the same range of capabilities to withstand moves, where some are better at it than others etc.

There are definitely fewer "indoor" trees, which makes it seem like a greater numbers of trees may display problems from this transition, until you realize they never should have been inside.

Trees that Do regularly go in and out....
Which for me is only ficus.
And I wouldn't hesitate to apply to anything else....

Once in in fall and once out in spring. At 50F.

Dancing them in and out is confusing for them, constant jumps from 40F outside to 70F inside in spring and fall is ridiculous.

One 20degreeF change in one move keeps them happy.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would recommend not sowing indoors but sowing outdoors. Then your seedlings are used to being outside.

LordHill

Seedling
Reaction score
I get what you are saying and trust me, these plants once outside are outside for good. Spruces, pines, maples, oaks, etc (Michigan - Zones 5-6). They have homes waiting for them in the garden.

If it makes a difference, once sprouted they go into a room with very nice vegative supporting grow lights and relatively aggressive fans.

I was just curious if I should be overly cautious when they are going out

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perfect answer. More than an answer, it was knowledge
It was to be taken with a grain of salt. The first transition to the outside I would do like you do with all plant you move from indoos to outdoors..

Top Bottom