Moving from subtropics to subarctic

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the suggestion. Overwintering is something I have 0 knowledge on so that's a good point, and iv'e dealt a lot with elms in the past. There are a few larch fans in the chat, are they hard to care for?

I am super excited! I am somewhat inclined to pick a ponderosa pine for the fact it rolls off the tongue so well.

Also bit more of a general question but do these cold loving trees need to reach a particular temperature during winter to do well?
LOL, now I can’t stop saying Ponderosa Pine in a (terrible) Australian accent. Best of luck on the move! Check out David Easterbrook on IG or YouTube if you haven’t already.

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
LOL, now I can’t stop saying Ponderosa Pine in a (terrible) Australian accent. Best of luck on the move! Check out David Easterbrook on IG or YouTube if you haven’t already.
Cheers! Hahaha terrible accent is what I have anyway, so you are probably saying it right. I haven't but I will now, thanks for that.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should inquire to the Toronto Bonsai Society to know what your options are.
I live near Ottawa and agree 100 percent step one contact the Toronto bonsai society they are very active . And will help a lot . The majority of the GTA greater Toronto area is USDA zone 5 but there are pockets warmer closer to the lake and southwest it’s a big area . North farther from the lake is colder . You say you have room for one tree . Can I assume your talking a apartment . Balcony Winter here is just starting you need to think of winter protection . On a balcony I would go with at least a zone 4 tree , experience level plays into what . West coast and foreign trees . Requires more knowledge and care . Something native to the east is the easiest . Depends are you interested in wild native trees or particular species . Eastern larch . Eastern cedar . Japanese white pine . Scot’s pine . Acer rubrum . Japanese maple spruce . Crab apple . Multiple elm cultivars there are others . The Japanese maple being the least cold friendly a little more info on what you are interested in . But differently start with the TBS

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Canada 🇨🇦 . A lot I mean a lot of Canadians . Will wonder if you thought this out . Moving from the tropics to Ontario at the start of winter . But if your into bonsai your sanity is already questionable. 😂😎. It’s been my experience that Australians and Canadians have very similar outlooks on life in general . You will fit right In . Ps the secret to being warm in the winter . Is boots and a hat . Both not necessarily the most stylish. But if your feet and head are warm and dry . Your warm 😎😎

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Remember the overwintering place should be nearby your house door so you can get to check your trees through the pile of snow... also remember to buy shovel... perhaps two... just in case ;) ;) ;)

not exactly overwintering advise for trees... but important one...

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remember the overwintering place should be nearby your house door so you can get to check your trees through the pile of snow... also remember to buy shovel... perhaps two... just in case ;) ;) ;)

A overwinter place Suggestion for most Canadians is back in Australia 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎 in the sun ☀️

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
I live near Ottawa and agree 100 percent step one contact the Toronto bonsai society they are very active . And will help a lot . The majority of the GTA greater Toronto area is USDA zone 5 but there are pockets warmer closer to the lake and southwest it’s a big area . North farther from the lake is colder . You say you have room for one tree . Can I assume your talking a apartment . Balcony Winter here is just starting you need to think of winter protection . On a balcony I would go with at least a zone 4 tree , experience level plays into what . West coast and foreign trees . Requires more knowledge and care . Something native to the east is the easiest . Depends are you interested in wild native trees or particular species . Eastern larch . Eastern cedar . Japanese white pine . Scot’s pine . Acer rubrum . Japanese maple spruce . Crab apple . Multiple elm cultivars there are others . The Japanese maple being the least cold friendly a little more info on what you are interested in . But differently start with the TBS
Love the name by the way, I would be super keen to try what we can't get at home so pine's, cedars, larch's, crab apples :eek: Haven't got a place yetbut yeah likely an apartment.
Welcome to Canada 🇨🇦 . A lot I mean a lot of Canadians . Will wonder if you thought this out . Moving from the tropics to Ontario at the start of winter . But if your into bonsai your sanity is already questionable. 😂😎. It’s been my experience that Australians and Canadians have very similar outlooks on life in general . You will fit right In . Ps the secret to being warm in the winter . Is boots and a hat . Both not necessarily the most stylish. But if your feet and head are warm and dry . Your warm 😎😎
Cheers! I think my brain can't wrap around how cold it may be, so maybe if I don't acknowledge it then my boardies and tshirt will be fine haha. I'm glad you also think that, it's partly the reason I picked Canada! Sounds like I will need to go shopping before I leave... in 3 days

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score

I'll keep that in mind! Odds are I will leave the shovel in the snow and lose it hahah

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the name by the way, I would be super keen to try what we can't get at home so pine's, cedars, larch's, crab apples :eek: Haven't got a place yetbut yeah likely an apartment.

Cheers! I think my brain can't wrap around how cold it may be, so maybe if I don't acknowledge it then my boardies and tshirt will be fine haha. I'm glad you also think that, it's partly the reason I picked Canada! Sounds like I will need to go shopping before I leave... in 3 days
Shop for cold weather clothes once your here . Better selection

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most will claim the eastern larch . Is north east north americas. Best contribution to bonsai . I’m not going to argue that . But great Material can be difficult get the best is wild collected . From nasty weather places . There are other options native and not . The environment should be embraced . Multiple trees will thrive in the cold that . Languish and suffer in the heat further south . Alpine trees pines spruces . O a lot of apple thrives and grow best after very cold dormancy . Most hardy bonsai trees grow best kept just above freezing . On a small scale this can be challenging To maintain and also make sure they stay dormant . I recommend starting with true cold hardy trees that will survive there roots being frozen for now . There are multiple techniques. Beware a tree with frozen roots is dormant and needs no water . But protect from desiccating winds . This is why so many follow nature there is heat in the ground and snow cover is natures wind and cold fluctuations insulation . Hence burying trees in mulch and soil and covering with snow . In a apartment years ago I did very well with insulated Box trees were buried to top of pot in cat litter style materiel . With a plastic cover for wind protection . Inside the box was a heating cable avail at any hardware store designed to stop water pipes from freezing very simple and effective . You can even go out on the balcony and enjoy your trees . Or thru the window . Every area of the world 🌎 has material and advantages . That others do not . Severe cold is very effective at keeping disease and bugs at bay . Native north trees under used as bonsai . Jack pine arguable the smallest leaves and most cold hardy of the 2 needle pines in the world . Arctic birch the smallest leaves if any birch . Most likely the tree that can withstand the most cold in the world . The cold 1/2 of North America is covered in spruce I’ll shut up now 😂😂

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Most will claim the eastern larch . Is north east north americas. Best contribution to bonsai . I’m not going to argue that . But great Material can be difficult get the best is wild collected . From nasty weather places . There are other options native and not . The environment should be embraced . Multiple trees will thrive in the cold that . Languish and suffer in the heat further south . Alpine trees pines spruces . O a lot of apple thrives and grow best after very cold dormancy . Most hardy bonsai trees grow best kept just above freezing . On a small scale this can be challenging To maintain and also make sure they stay dormant . I recommend starting with true cold hardy trees that will survive there roots being frozen for now . There are multiple techniques. Beware a tree with frozen roots is dormant and needs no water . But protect from desiccating winds . This is why so many follow nature there is heat in the ground and snow cover is natures wind and cold fluctuations insulation . Hence burying trees in mulch and soil and covering with snow . In a apartment years ago I did very well with insulated Box trees were buried to top of pot in cat litter style materiel . With a plastic cover for wind protection . Inside the box was a heating cable avail at any hardware store designed to stop water pipes from freezing very simple and effective . You can even go out on the balcony and enjoy your trees . Or thru the window . Every area of the world 🌎 has material and advantages . That others do not . Severe cold is very effective at keeping disease and bugs at bay . Native north trees under used as bonsai . Jack pine arguable the smallest leaves and most cold hardy of the 2 needle pines in the world . Arctic birch the smallest leaves if any birch . Most likely the tree that can withstand the most cold in the world . The cold 1/2 of North America is covered in spruce I’ll shut up now 😂😂
Hahaha I love it. Even in Australian Winter you water once every 2 days. The box idea sounds like something I am going to have to do, will have to whip out my handy man skills. Ill shut up know hahaha 🤣

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#1 is throw a snowball at someone.
By Feb 2024 this will be out of rage instead of joy.... Winter is fun, for a week or so and to look at in pics later. Christmas eve and then... Cya!
Which makes you smile? LOL

Attachments

• 02-17-10_1548.jpg
    02-17-10_1548.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 9
  • gratton2021-12.jpg
    gratton2021-12.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow - grats to you! Toronto is great. My son just returned from a trip to meet up with friends there and loves it. I wouldn't call it sub-arctic at all... but then again I lived in Chicago for much of my life, which is relatively similar, though I believe Toronto has nicer summers. Tons of tree options - and a chance to embrace the seasons. We're going to be having a winter silhouette show this weekend in Charlotte where the trees will be displayed in their winter appearance. Think about trees that give your four seasons of interest, and mix them with cold hardy evergreens and perhaps even winter fruit-bearing trees (winterberry, etc).

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wow - grats to you! Toronto is great. My son just returned from a trip to meet up with friends there and loves it. I wouldn't call it sub-arctic at all... but then again I lived in Chicago for much of my life, which is relatively similar, though I believe Toronto has nicer summers. Tons of tree options - and a chance to embrace the seasons. We're going to be having a winter silhouette show this weekend in Charlotte where the trees will be displayed in their winter appearance. Think about trees that give your four seasons of interest, and mix them with cold hardy evergreens and perhaps even winter fruit-bearing trees (winterberry, etc).
Cheers, I'm glad to hear it's probably not as cold as everyone here in Australia is telling me! Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will do exactly that. Just crossing my fingers now, I can get a "Bonsai friendly" place 😬

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Toronto is usda zone 5 the majority of January and February will be between about -5c and as cold as -20 c a lot of days especially in January are very cloud free blue sky and sunny . The weather is moderated by the Great Lakes warmer in winter and cooler in summer the closer you are to the lakes . Hence why where I live near Ottawa is one zone colder . Winter here is not so much how cold it gets but the length of it. Snow storms in March are a buzz kill

Top Bottom